Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The Genesis is $57k drive-away because it's an old (and only popular among hire-car operators) car that's on special, RRP is $61.5k for the base car & $82k for the upper spec one.

Makes a faster better-handling better-looking better-equipped newer design for less money look like good value to me! :)
The old Lambda II with snails is not faster, nor better looking than the K900 or Genesis. But I suppose it's whatever floats your kimchee really. Yes it goes 0-100 in 5.1, so does the V8 version. Both not near the SS performance except keep close across the intersection.
It is also does not have better handling than those two according to objective reviews, and certainly does not have better-equipment spec. Yes, it is priced marginally less than entry to the top of the line model still a rip-off.
Again, this thread is about this tarted up budget special being directly compared and touted as a replacement to the Commodore, which it is not. I'm glad the product's value equation suits your need, like TX5 owners felt 30 years ago, anyhow I wish you all the best :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It is also does not have better handling than those two according to objective reviews, and certainly does not have better-equipment spec.
Crap, really?
I'm off to pick the better-half up from the airport, I could really use the radar-cruise in the same-spec-as-radar-cruise-equipped-Stinger Redline, if you could just tell me how to switch it on!

There are also NO objective reviews of the Australian-spec Stinger, it's not been driven by anyone who's been allowed to publish anything yet. Wheels have driven & reviewed pre-prod cars, but they didn't have Aus-spec suspension or steering enabled.

Have you got the URL for the handling comparo between Stinger & Genesis though? I'd kinda find that interesting, even if it's not entirely relevant here.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Crap, really?
I'm off to pick the better-half up from the airport, I could really use the radar-cruise in the same-spec-as-radar-cruise-equipped-Stinger Redline, if you could just tell me how to switch it on!

There are also NO objective reviews of the Australian-spec Stinger, it's not been driven by anyone who's been allowed to publish anything yet. Wheels have driven & reviewed pre-prod cars, but they didn't have Aus-spec suspension or steering enabled.

Have you got the URL for the handling comparo between Stinger & Genesis though? I'd kinda find that interesting, even if it's not entirely relevant here.
Oh my apologies, I read that you were comparing the Stinger to its more up-market (yet similarly priced) Korean shitboxes that don't sell in volume anywhere except Korea.
For the Motor Trend review on the Stinger that pretty well sums up the above points, you need to stump up for a subscription, you know, like pay / reward those people you support, like this forum and its admin through measly annual donation, the professional independent Motorsport reviewers, the Australian engineers and craftsmen who are just like your 20 nearest neighbours.
Unless of course you live in Korea, or wish for draconian internationalist new world order.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good point ... given that I live near Kia & Hyundai Oz headquarters, the Australian suspension engineers probably ARE neighbours!

*edit*
Sorry, Airport Run got in the way of a complete response. And she flew back with a cold; erk, nothing worse than an ear/nose affecting cold when you're in the Squeezy Metal Tube Of Suck (at least it was only from NZ).

You're right, I got a bit lost on what you were sniping at; I was comparing Stinger equipment to the Genesis. Seems the main things the similar-price Genesis doesn't get which Stinger does are HUD and the MR suspension, I suppose also the Brembos. The gearbox is probably the same one. But the Genesis is closer to a Statesman in size whereas Stinger is more like a current Liberty so you could probably consider 'spaciousness' to be something Genesis would beat Stinger on.

Oh, and also; cred for inferring an SS isn't a tarted-up budget special, I nearly missed that humour. :)

Last edited:

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
The Kia might well go past me, but it will never sound as good as my Redline doing it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dude, I doubt it's going past you ... best it's doing is nearly keeping up. :)

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline