Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen Washer Vy

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
I was going thru this informative website in regards to replace my windscreen water pump motor, but couldnt find a write up or any information,
I checked on ebay , like the moter is for $20 but when i looked in my engine bay i couldnt fine the washer motor ,

Any idea where is it located and whats the procedure to pull the old one out and install a new one.

thanks

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Its clipped into the side of the washer reservoir, under the passenger side front guard apron. You need to remove the inner guard apron to get at it easily. Just pull it out of the reservoir and watch out for the water that will want to hit you in the eyes. Un plug the wiring, plug on the new pump and push it back into place in the reservoir.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Um, Calaber, isn't it on the driver's side?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Um, Calaber, isn't it on the driver's side?

Woops. Yeah, sorry, driver's side. (pulls head out of backside and thinks....)

The plastic liner is clipped up with scrivets around the inner mudguard and a few self tappers around the wheelarch. You will need to jack the car up and remove the front DRIVER'S SIDE wheel to gain easy access to all the scrivets. The plastic liner is sort of forced into place, so you will need to pull it down from one end to get it out.

Just in case I have this wrong, look up under the driver's side mudguard, right up the front and you will see the water reservoir - a large black plastic container. You might be able to see and remove the pump motor without having to do any other dismantling - I'm not sure, because I haven't had to do it on my VY, but on the VR I had, it was necessary to remove the inner liner and drop the reservoir.

(I shall now go and see if I can find my memory - I left it here somewhere!)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
He he, born before the FJ. I have all this to look forward to!

Flaash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VU Ute
G'day guys, if you have VU or similar washer pump is easily accessible from under front DS headlight directly ahead of wheel but not in wheel bay. Pretty good really.

Cheers

Alan Keye

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYii s pack
On my VYii s pack it was a simple job. Turn wheels to left when parked. Lay on an old towel and look up between front of drivers side wheel to locate bottom of washer bottle. On front side of the washer bottle is the pump. Carefully prise it forwards out of the rubber grommet at bottom of tank, and also pull out from between the plastic contours if the bottle that hold the body of the pump. The water in the bottle will drain out onto the ground. Carefully remove the metal clip which holds the wiring connector on. Slide the clip out with a screwdriver. Undo the connector from the top of the pump. Pull off the black rubber hose from bottom of pump. Remove the old grommet from water bottle. Original grommets had a fine filter. If the rubber is not perished, clean the mesh filter and reuse the grommet. Many aftermarket grommets do not have the filter mesh. Connect new pump to wiring connector and slide in the retaining clip. Reconnect the small diameter rubber hose to the pump outlet. Put the grommet onto the pump and spray with a bit of WD40. Press the pump and grommet into the hole on the water bottle and press the body of the pump until it clicks between the bottle contours which hold it. Fill the water bottle and you should be ready to go.