Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wipers not returning home

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
MY16 Sportwagon my drivers arm has decided to park itself in different positions and not always the same spot as my two other VF, it’s kinda annoying. I have taken off wiper arm and repositioned but that hasn’t seem to have worked.

It almost seems when traveling at high speed say 80km/h and you use the wiper for a manual sweep it will park itself above the black area of the bottom of the windscreen. If you use wipers at say 40km/h it will park itself in the right spot. (See attached pics)

I have also looked at the finish point near drivers A pillar and it seems it’s not always the same finish point the wiper sometimes goes further and sometimes stops shorter.

Not sure what to do. Have the little splines been worn out on the wiper arm and knob? I have bought new wiper arm but haven’t fitted yet. Is it possible to buy a new knob where the wiper motor is? Or it’s not as easy as replacing parts?

I have compared to my other two VF and the arm looks the same not really bent and I haven’t experienced this problem in my other two VF. Open to suggestions and ideas.

Attachments

• 86B2CD42-BDAD-43E3-8A43-4AD08A553F33.jpeg
    86B2CD42-BDAD-43E3-8A43-4AD08A553F33.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 2B726E47-ACC8-4F2B-90D7-77146B8A7204.jpeg
    2B726E47-ACC8-4F2B-90D7-77146B8A7204.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 71

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check for any slop (lost motion) in the arms for the R/H wiper.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check for any slop (lost motion) in the arms for the R/H wiper.
There seems to be abit of play in the drivers arm, my other VF have some play as well but not as much as the Sportwagon.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There seems to be abit of play in the drivers arm, my other VF have some play as well but not as much as the Sportwagon.
Probably a worn bush, or pin.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Probably a worn bush, or pin.
Is that on the knob that the arm pushes onto or is there somewhere else I need to be looking?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Is that on the knob that the arm pushes onto or is there somewhere else I need to be looking?
I believe the wiper mechanism is the same for both VE & VF.

In the pics below you can see the arms that operate the levers connected to the wiper shafts. The motor turns a wheel with offset pin that pushes (and pulls) the lower arm connected to the left lever which also has an arm connected to the right lever. Where those arms operate on the levers, there would be a bush or pin or such arrangement and any wear around the bush or pin area will cause excess play within the two wiper arms (which should always be in sync and with little free play between them).

IMO, it’s a cheaply made part…

Picture 1 of 12

Picture 2 of 12

Last edited:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride

In the pics below you can see the arms that operate the levers connected to the wiper shafts. The motor turns a wheel with offset pin that pushes (and pulls) the lower arm connected to the left lever which also has an arm connected to the right lever. Where those arms operate on the levers, there would be a bush or pin or such arrangement and any wear around the bush or pin area will cause excess play within the two wiper arms (which should always be in sync and with little free play between them).

Picture 1 of 12

Picture 2 of 12
Thanks. Is this accessible from the front removing the lower plenum chamber plastic cover?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. Is this accessible from the front removing the lower plenum chamber plastic cover?
You'll see a lot of the mechanism with the bonnet open.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

A cheaply made part fitted to a Commodore, you're kidding me.