Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF!!?? First issue with the SSV and it made me cry!

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
Oh yeah, the ticking sound (sounded like injectors do) was caused by the movement of the balancer.

Was hoping maybe it's a common fault or with some kind of specific diagnosis.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I wonder if this could have caused any damage to the crankshaft, since it wasn't dampened?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Ok in regards to the tune... If it has something to do with the balancer or not, it's more a question "if" Holden are going to void the warranty because certain "modifications" have been done.

That was the point i was making. I do mods knowing that holden could void the warranty regardless if the mod was the cause of the fault, which in your case is highly unlikely but it's a risk you take i guess.
Hope it all sorts itself out for you anyway kikki, keep us posted. :)

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks! Hopefully hear some news today, I have requested some other warranty work be done while it's there (leather on steering wheel coming back and handbrake adjustment) so doubt it will be ready today. Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it sounded :-(

bigdave999

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hi Kikki

I am prepared to bet I know which dealer you are refering to from your expression "service department dick".

Re the harmonic balancer, I would think the only damage, if any, would potentially be the woodruff key slot in the end of the crank but I am basing that on experience with motorcycle flywheels which use the same method to prevent them from spinning on the driving shaft. Usually the key itself shears and the thing starts to rotate independently of the crank which undoes the retainer bolt and it then falls off

If I got the dealer right, you can expect to get slugged for around $80 to adjust the handbrake and I know that as my neighbour has a 12 month old VESS which he asked them to adjust the handbrake during the second service and got charged exactly that...criminals!!!!

As for the leather on the steering wheel, if it's like mine, it is coming back at the top near the switch gear. I didnt even bother asking for mine to be done under warranty as I picked one up on Ebay for under $100 new and fitted it myself in about 15 minutes

Good luck with them will be interested yo hear your outcome

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yeah, they rang me and said it should be ready about 4. Everything is done, no charge.

The handbrake isn't being charged coz maybe a month ago we had it adjusted ($47) but then there was slight movement so it was repaired under warranty, since then it's needed adjustment so I have told them I refuse to pay for it, no dramas with the steering wheel either ;-)

I wasn't listening (I'm currently in hospital waiting for the BF to get out of surgery lol) but he said something has "dropped" but there's no other damage to the crank etc and it's all been replaced under warranty, PHEW! Thanks guys, hopefully it's all good when I pick it up.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
If I got the dealer right, you can expect to get slugged for around $80 to adjust the handbrake and I know that as my neighbour has a 12 month old VESS which he asked them to adjust the handbrake during the second service and got charged exactly that...criminals!!!!

if you knew how long it takes to even get to the adjuster nut to adjust it you wouldnt be saying that...

kikki, the only reason ive seen/heard of a balancer bolt working its way loose is from incorrect installation after pulley removal... they have to be tensioned up to a rediculous amount of torque and then turned to a certain degree. yours could of had a defective bolt or balancer.

also, regarding your tune, all of capa's cars go thru our workshop after cam,blower,intake and tune fitments before the customer receives the car.... never had a problem with replacing parts under warranty after the parts are fitted :) all depends how the mechanic writes the warranty story as to wether its covered or not... i know that some dealers dont care about some of their customers problems cos they have so many and think that one unhappy one doesnt matter. not all are the same tho

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Got her back this morning, running as normal. Only issue is they put the steering wheel on crooked.... Arghhh! Going back in tomorrow!

It dropped a valve? Written report should be ready tomorrow too.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ok seriously ####ed off!

Ticking sound now from the rear of the engine (drivers side) going to take her into Pro Auto where the decent mechanics are at to see what it is, get them to check it over then its complaint time, Young's Holden are going to regret they stuffed me around, its getting beyond the fkn joke!