Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your opinion - LS1 or XR6T

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
AirStrike said:
*SIGH*
I hate people that read wheels/motor and believe that the figures are the be all and end all. My uncle words for ford and is always part of the teams the go along with the jurnos with the press lunches. Those times first of all 9 times outta ten arnt done at a strip they use hi tech g force meters on the street/old airstrips, etc where the surface aint preped. Secondly after they have flogged the guys outta a F6 for 7 hours then do a quarter mile run the times aint gonna be the best.
I have also seen at calder a BF F6 6 speed auto run a 13.1 all they did was rock up, drop the tyre pressure and pull out the air filter and headlight.
AirStrike :air:

Fair enough about not being propper times, and the cars being flogged beforehand, but if they did it to the typhoon, it wouldn't be any different for the holdens and HSVs, so wouldn't these cars be pulling 12's on the drag strip then? Rockin up at the drag strip and pullin the filter out doesn't mean the car is standard! Bloody hell. Look, I'm not gonna add any more to this until I go to the drags next.

*EDIT - read my next post

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Evman said:
Fair enough about not being propper times, and the cars being flogged beforehand, but if they did it to the typhoon, it wouldn't be any different for the holdens and HSVs, so wouldn't these cars be pulling 12's on the drag strip then? Rockin up at the drag strip and pullin the filter out doesn't mean the car is standard! Bloody hell. Look, I'm not gonna add any more to this until I go to the drags next. There is no STANDARD australian built car that is doin near 12s passes. Tuned I can believe, but NOT STANDARD.
The difference is a FI car is more likely to loose power due to heat compared to a N/A one.
I really wouldnt call removing the air filter a modification............ hell put it back in and run a 13.2

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Ok, I've just signed up to a Ford forum and have found a claim of a bog stock typhoon doin 13.1. So I'll eat my words and apologise for comin across as an idiot. However it's the only case I've found, and I've said it before, turbos aren't reliable from factiry, so this must have bee a fit one. I'm not going down without a fight though! The quickest XR6T claim (for a standard) is 14 flat, and I can live with that, but it's not the mid 13's some were claiming. I noticed the Ford guys no the difference between standard and not, mid 12s for XR6T with a tune and 1 11.9s pass for an F6 with a tune and injectors. Still, those times are achievable with bolt on LS1s. There was an SV8 I saw somewhere doin consistent 11.7s with bolts, and that's a true street driven tune. That point I should've made earlier too - there's a difference between doin a fast time, and doin a fast time, every time. Personally, having a turbo car doin the same times as an atmo, both tuned, the atmo is doin bloody well. Especially seeing as from factory they put out very similar power.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
AirStrike said:
The difference is a FI car is more likely to loose power due to heat compared to a N/A one.

Yet another benifit of the LS1. So what happens in summer when it's 30+ degrees most days?

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
The quickest XR6T claim (for a standard) is 14 flat, and I can live with that, but it's not the mid 13's some were claiming.

The quickest XRT i've seen is 13.81 that was stock done at heathcote raceway. The car has about 183rwkw.

The LS1 is a great motor and both take well to mods. But so is the I6, at the end of the day it's what the driver prefers and sometimes they might let the badge dictate their choice

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Evman said:
No I wont. How do you know it was standard? I've got some figures here from Wheels magazine. In the back of the mag it's got the fastest times they've tested for each car. The quickest they've got from Holden/HSV is the DTS with 13.3s, and the Typhoon is 14 flat, with the 6spd auto. The best XR6T time is 14.3, also with the auto. What you're saying is that the 90kg heavier falcons are as quick as the DTS, and a nealry a full second quicker than what these guys have done, in several test cars? Sure, the F6 has more torque, but 20Nm isn't gonna make up for 30Kw less and 90kg more. I go to kwinana a fair bit acutally, and I've never seen a stanard Ford/FPV into the 13's. I acutally talked to a guy that spent 5grand on his GT and still couldn't get into the 13's. There is just NO WAY a STANDARD F6 could do a 12s pass, let alone 13.2. I have no troubles with believing it if they were tuned. Maybe you should ask a owner before you come to the conclusion it hasn't had work done to it.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

You sound like a 13 year old kid who has no clue.

As for how i knew it was standard, it was a friends car.

Mate, people just don't randomly spit rubbish out their mouth when claiming times.

So maybe you should own a few performance cars and see the difference between media hype and real track figures. Until then, don't come to a conclusion otherwise :)

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
kill -9 said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH

You sound like a 13 year old kid who has no clue.

As for how i knew it was standard, it was a friends car.

Mate, people just don't randomly spit rubbish out their mouth when claiming times.

So maybe you should own a few performance cars and see the difference between media hype and real track figures. Until then, don't come to a conclusion otherwise :)

Look mate, I can't afford a performance car, so I'm doin the best I can otherwise. I do my best to keep up with whats goin on, but I a limited to magazines. Just because you say it doens't mean it's true, no matter how often you say you're being honest, I'd rather see it for myself or here it from the owner (which I have now, so get over it.) I;ve already admitted I was wrong, give it a rest. Just for the record, have you owned and modified both LS1 and XR6T to their full potential? No? Maybe you shouldn't come to a conclusion either :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Evman said:
Look mate, I can't afford a performance car, so I'm doin the best I can otherwise. I do my best to keep up with whats goin on, but I a limited to magazines. Just because you say it doens't mean it's true, no matter how often you say you're being honest, I'd rather see it for myself or here it from the owner (which I have now, so get over it.) I;ve already admitted I was wrong, give it a rest. Just for the record, have you owned and modified both LS1 and XR6T to their full potential? No? Maybe you shouldn't come to a conclusion either :)
I owned an 11 second VT SS, it was as far as i wanted the potntial to go without losing drivability and economy, my father is a ford guy, he has owned many a modified ford. I have friends who own XR6T's and think they are god's, so yes i believe i have enough information on both cars.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
LOL calm down guys, i don't know why your comparing n/a and FI to me there not the same ball park and with FI you can add or take power by adjusting the boost...you can't do that with N/A.

me personally i'd take the Ford, simple reasons it's a turbo 6, cheaper to run, great sized family car and its got alot of power and can easially and cheaply be modified for bigger power.

by hey thats just me:thumbsup:

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Cheaper to run, i doubt that, listening to my mates complain about the fuel consumption of their cars. The XR6T uses more than the SS does, its quicker, but it uses more petty, funny as to listen to em argue