Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Video: Stock V Hsv Headers On 2.5inch Catback

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
First video is stock headers on a VCM 2.5inch Catback
Second video is hsv headers on the VCM 2.5 inch Catback
Let me know what you think under acceleration the HSV headers do tend to be a touch deeper.
I already got a noise test done on the first Video and was 87 Decibels and will be getting the second
video noise tested with the HSV headers to see if there is much difference i very much doubt it will exceed 90db.
I will let u no what the outcome is.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Who let the dogs out !!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thx TinSnips iam happy with the HSV headers but wouldnt pay no more than $200 for them.

webwombat 2 dogs for sale no offer refused

They're better guard dogs than mine!!! Well.. more vocal at least! Tyson tends to guard in stealth mode - has a habit of letting people get very close to the gate before unleashing hell!

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
The funny thing is that when i had the catback with the stock headers they bark let hell ever since i put the hsv headers (video 2) in they dont bark anymore when i rev the car strange :confused:
must be a slightly better tone for them 2.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The funny thing is that when i had the catback with the stock headers they bark let hell ever since i put the hsv headers (video 2) in they dont bark anymore when i rev the car strange :confused:
must be a slightly better tone for them 2.

mate if they approve, it must be good!

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
Ok had a day off 2day :) so i took my car for a noise test just for my own peace of mind not 2 be over the noise limit and i had 2 tests 1 from a work friend and 1 independent place and they both read 87 db even with the HSV headers so no noise difference from stock headers or hsv headers in loudness but do give a deeper note. So technically i can go just double in noise (3decibles equals double noise legal is 90db) but i will stop although its very tempting.
Just thought people who are anal like me regarding noise and getting done (worrying) at least this system does not on my VE SS Auto AFM disabled.
Hope this helps people

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah, with OTR and tune, HSV headers are the best, cheapest mod you can do to an L76 / L77 exhaust - go the try-y headers: The benefit from D-Shaped exhaust port transition to round is managed entirely by the L92 head i.e.. the crappy port matching of the stock manifold restricts flow in a big way:
L77headers.jpg

Which is better seen close-up:
Blow.jpg

Apart from the obvious restriction of size mismatch, the main flow area when scavenging kicks in is severely blocked by clumsy porting:
flowing.jpg

With HSV headers (see back-to-back comparison in next two pics below) there is no restriction and exhaust gas scavenging effect of the tuned length headers really make a difference:
P3100879-1.jpg

The exhaust flow works to maximum effect:
HSVhead.jpg

So the HSV headers and hi-flow cats cost AUD$130 second hand, just need to modify the connecting pipe from the flange to create 3" connector:
P3100879detail.jpg

and BTW it doesn't really matter which brand 2.5" catback you choose - that's all personal taste BS (Google exhaust engineering theory 101 on silencers and back pressure).
BOTTOM LINE: I have L77 A6 SSV Wagon 253rwkw 570nm Mainline before these headers, paid $500 fitted all up and would've gladly paid $2k for the performance and no-drone sound improvement. +30kw +50nm after e85-specific tune.

Last edited: