Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Serviced my car, plugs etc etc, jumped in the car to start, just wont kick over, WTF? 30 mins of reseting and using different keys, Oh wait, its still in Drive lol

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
I was changing out all 6 of the old batteries that had carked it in about 25 different golf buggies. (yes i work at a golf course) and one of the things that you have to do because of it having 6 batteries per cart it has an easyflow system on the batteries that connects them all together.(basically a hosing system that goes where all the batter cell caps are). so you gotta rip al that off before you can even think about changing them, leaving each battery with no caps on.. then you pull it out with a battery clasp, and its easy enough to hold with one hand after you get it out. (im right handed, as you will tell).. about 2/3's of the way in my the outter side of my right leg starts getting a serious 'itch' to it. but i push on, thinking nothing of it.

Then that night, at home watching TV, i got the itch again, only slightly, so i itched like anyone normally would, an to my surpise i tore a MASSIVE CHUNK of my pants off (expensive golfing pants that they make ALL their staff wear, and pay for {no matter what job u gotta do}). My missus was not impressed with me. Nor was I.

I'd managed to get battery acid all down my right pant leg, totally destroying the pants... Luckily i sustained no burns, only the one in my wallet. :supersad:

haha golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass you should see my neighbour the accountant huge ass lol

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
haha golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass you should see my neighbour the accountant huge ass lol

Green jacket, Gold jacket who gives a Shi*t lol.
Could not resist lol

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
snapped sump bolts off in the hole, in an N16 pulsar half an hour before customer was due to pick it up, quickest drill and tap job ever

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I did something silly and trusted a cheap torque wrench.

Trying to properly torque caliper guide pin bolts with a Kincrome torque wrench. Worked last time, evidently this time it didn't. Torquing properly with a smaller wrench worked fine; the click mechanism broke. So did the bolt. WAY TO GO $80 TORQUE WRENCHES!

Ive been using a $50 torque wrench from supercheap for years without fail :thumbsup:. Always lives in its box with the adjuster backed right off when not in use and always use a low torque setting for the first few clicks to ensure its well lubed. Probably my most looked after tool in the shed. :)

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Ive been using a $50 torque wrench from supercheap for years without fail :thumbsup:. Always lives in its box with the adjuster backed right off when not in use and always use a low torque setting for the first few clicks to ensure its well lubed. Probably my most looked after tool in the shed. :)

Yeah I know you can get pretty good ones cheap, I only found out after I bought it that they're actually really craptacular, this particular model :p Imagine if I had been tightening head bolts on an aluminium head? I'd be a tad more pissed off about buying a torque wrench that lasted all of ~15 bolts before breaking. I have an SCA 1/4" one that seems good, and i will be buying a trade tools 1/2" some time soon, since the kincrome went back for a refund.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Yeah I know you can get pretty good ones cheap, I only found out after I bought it that they're actually really craptacular, this particular model :p Imagine if I had been tightening head bolts on an aluminium head? I'd be a tad more pissed off about buying a torque wrench that lasted all of ~15 bolts before breaking. I have an SCA 1/4" one that seems good, and i will be buying a trade tools 1/2" some time soon, since the kincrome went back for a refund.

Where did you get the Kinchrome one from?
I bought one from Autobarn for I think 90 or 100 bucks.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Hrmm.. Here's a dumb one.. I was 16, maybe just 17(1975), working on my first car, an EH Premier. I was taking the head off and it just would not move. I bent screwdrivers etc levering at it with no joy. I had a brain storm.. So I thought. So..

I know! I'll use compression! I'll crank it over and pop the head off! Sounds good, eh? Well the manifold and carb were over on side, disconnected from the fuel lines.

Sad thing was the fact of turning it over pumped fuel out of the disconnected carb inlet pipe and the dissy cap was still on with leads hanging all over the place.

Easy to see now a HT spark and spurting fuel were not a good match, or were if you like the pun.

Anyway I almost cooked my first car in the driveway but the head did come off..

edit: I did learn from it though.. I never made any mistakes like that and always thought about everything I did until I gave up being a Mechanic in 92.

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
by far the sillyst thing i have done was replaceing the auto in my old vk after a few hours of busting my gut i finaly get it all lines up and start to tighten the box up only to find it was tight as all hell on the left side and still had a inch to go and it would not budge so i spend the next half hour or so trying to work out why it wouldnt do up in the end i pull the box back out and re check the torqe converter but it was right so the next hour and a half geting the box back into the car ( by myself ) and have the same problem i spend another few hours on it and then i give up come out first thing in the morning only to find that the starter was jamed against my exuast and it was just enough to jam the bloody auto a inch out of place i removed the starter and the box went in under five 5 mins after spending 12 hours on it the day before

learnt something though allways remove the starter lol bloody thing

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
by far the sillyst thing i have done was replaceing the auto in my old vk after a few hours of busting my gut i finaly get it all lines up and start to tighten the box up only to find it was tight as all hell on the left side and still had a inch to go and it would not budge so i spend the next half hour or so trying to work out why it wouldnt do up in the end i pull the box back out and re check the torqe converter but it was right so the next hour and a half geting the box back into the car ( by myself ) and have the same problem i spend another few hours on it and then i give up come out first thing in the morning only to find that the starter was jamed against my exuast and it was just enough to jam the bloody auto a inch out of place i removed the starter and the box went in under five 5 mins after spending 12 hours on it the day before

learnt something though allways remove the starter lol bloody thing

What was the motor? Don't they(starters) all bolt to the bellhousing/converter housing? You left the starter bolted to it when you pulled it? Must have been a 6.