Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Dr.304

SuperCharged StatesMan
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Statesman Supercharged
i have done two stupid thing:

i had a supercharged corolla with a busted alternator. So as i was driving the car died so i pulled over and decided to buy a new battery. Got the new battery and connected it the wrong way. Even though i thought it was friggin hard to put the clips on (one is smaller then the other) not even looking as to whether we were doing the right thing, we decide to smash the terminals on the battery.
I ended up frying 2 of the main fuses and melted some wires. I thought i fried the Stinger v4244 that was in the car. I s**t myself.

Another time when i was younger, i had my mums car. The engine was hot and i swang by my mates house who had a s13 turbo. he was just degreasing his motor. Hes like try some!
so i did. I went sick with the stuff and the whole engine bay lit up in flames. Lucky there was a hose near by. Again, i s**t myself.

LOL

hoots

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq 5.0l
ok, not quite as good as the above. but.....

I swapped the front half of a tailshaft to get a good centre bearing, changed universals, got oit all back together and.... it was too long! forgot to measere! pulled all apart and put the old one back in!

Oh but th worst, I forgot. me and a mate rebuilt a 186, all new bits got it all together, drove it for a couple of hundred ks and the big ends were rattling, turns out we got he big end and mains torques mixed up (supposed to be about 135 for mains and 45 for big ends) no wonder it didnt last long!

Last edited:

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
What was the motor? Don't they(starters) all bolt to the bellhousing/converter housing? You left the starter bolted to it when you pulled it? Must have been a 6.

yeah it was a 6 and i had undone the blots and left the starter siting on the egine mounts it just got jamed up lol

VRNathan

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Berlina
Stupidest thing i ever did was talking on the phone to the girlfriend whilst setting up a battery to charge with the phone held in between the shoulder and the face talking about subjects that annoyed me, end result was putting Negative on Positive and Positive on Negative and watching a flash discharge running all the way doing the active cable into the charger and blowing it up.

I struggle.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
My latest adventure.

Jack up the car set up stands stick wheels under it - bricks at the rear wheels. Grab all tools needed place them under the car. With lowered cars it takes the boot jack first, Then the jack under the K frame. Remove all jacks and set down onto car stands. Right ready. No...

Forgot to loosen the wheel nuts first.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i have a box of 8mm alpha-numerical stamps which i use to punch the 17 digit vin numbers into import cars. so there is 26 letters in the alphabet, and 10 numbers 36 in total.

i use the first stamp, hit it slighty off-center and it goes flying into the engine bay somewhere... "oh FFS" says i, as i peer in to the engine bay to see if i can spot it, anyway, my lazy elbow nudges the WHole box of 36 stamps into the engine bay after it.

nice.