Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I wish Holden all the best, but sadly I think their future is grim.
Years of mismanagement and poor decision making by the yanks has slowly but surely driven Holden into the ground. What was once a thriving manufacturer with a bright future has degenerated into a soulless importer of rebadged crap. Now with Peugeot taking over, the situation has become even more of a dog's breakfast.
My passion for Holden will die once the last car rolls out of Elizabeth. From that point on I will become a classic enthusiast and will have no interest in the new car market whatsoever.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I'm excited to see what new cars can bring performance wise with electric and hybrid technology.
Despite relatively modest power gains over the last 20 years in ICE the pairing of monsterous torque from electrics is going to blow away what we've seen.
A recent dyno of the Tesla P100 showed it pumping out 1400nm of torque.... in a stock, ADR compliant street car!
It would seem that the brand of Holden will probably not be around to be part of this story in automotive history, just as Australia not being a manufacturer of such technology.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
think back 17 years ago (yes 17 years) with the ECOmmodore and what Holden and the CSIRO developed.

who killed it?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Big oil....
If the things which are taking all the Falcodore sales weren't thirsty gerlytrux, we could agree ... but they ain't, so we can't. :)

It's actually diversity in the market. So many choices. in 1972 a Corolla was sooooooo much less comfortable than a Falcon or a Kingswood, driving the Corolla was almost a trial by comparison; these days the reasons not to choose the Corolla are massively reduced, plus the Corolla has much the same space now as the Kingswood did then (while easily outperforming a stock V8 '72 Kingswood and using 1/4 the fuel while being safer & quieter & more comfy).
So add the fact that a Golf, Mazda3, Corolla, Focus etc are better cars than Falcodores in the heyday of Aussie cars to the fact that all the numpties have been convinced they need to bully every other road user with gerlytrux, then add the number of models & manufacturers in the market, then add not having 45% import duties, then add the competition created by all those manufacturers meaning that new car prices have been dropping c/f CPI ... and the market's spread thin, no one particular model dominates.

Commodore is still, what, number 4? Despite being "unpopular" these days? That's not unpopular! It's just that #4 these days is 20k units/year, when #4 used to be 80k units/year ...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When you think of how much that diversity had affected local car sales, consider the fact that between July 71 and May 74, (34 months), just under half a million HQ's were produced. That's around 165,000 per year. In addition the LC and LJ Toranas were Rolling off the same production lines.

There were probably only about a quarter of the car brands available then that there are now.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
think back 17 years ago (yes 17 years) with the ECOmmodore and what Holden and the CSIRO developed.

who killed it?

Capitalism?

Big oil....

If the things which are taking all the Falcodore sales weren't thirsty gerlytrux, we could agree ... but they ain't, so we can't. :)

It's actually diversity in the market. So many choices. in 1972 a Corolla was sooooooo much less comfortable than a Falcon or a Kingswood, driving the Corolla was almost a trial by comparison; these days the reasons not to choose the Corolla are massively reduced, plus the Corolla has much the same space now as the Kingswood did then (while easily outperforming a stock V8 '72 Kingswood and using 1/4 the fuel while being safer & quieter & more comfy).
So add the fact that a Golf, Mazda3, Corolla, Focus etc are better cars than Falcodores in the heyday of Aussie cars to the fact that all the numpties have been convinced they need to bully every other road user with gerlytrux, then add the number of models & manufacturers in the market, then add not having 45% import duties, then add the competition created by all those manufacturers meaning that new car prices have been dropping c/f CPI ... and the market's spread thin, no one particular model dominates.

Commodore is still, what, number 4? Despite being "unpopular" these days? That's not unpopular! It's just that #4 these days is 20k units/year, when #4 used to be 80k units/year ...

All valid points Forg, but I'm not sure how they relate to Dity Harry's question. None of those issues existed 17 years ago.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, my bad; I thought he meant who killed Holden, not the ECOmmodore!

The ECOmmodore was only a show-car. It had lead-acid batteries, so would've needed a fair whack more development. I think that Volt sales show they wouldn't have achieved anything much by developing & selling an ECOmmodore.

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR

gerlytrux = Mummy Taxis?

Recently had the displeasure of driving a Rav 4 and an X-Trail

Both worthwhile holders of the badge of honor: POS!

Glad to have my butt back in the Caprice