Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20% underdrive pulley

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
gday just askin a few questions on the underdrive pulley as im looking at getting one for my rattletec. ive already sorted getting the bolt out, dont know how but my little $200 toolpro rattlegun got it out pretty much instantly. didnt think it would be that easy at all. didnt even put up a fight lol. but anyway, i should have a pulley to get it off too we got heaps at work.
saw someone saying something about a seal? would it be best to replace it, or if its in good nick just regrease/oil it?
also theres 2 bearings in the photo of the pulley, (https://www.maceengineering.com.au/...T-HOLDEN-ALLOYTEC-SIDI-LY7-LE0-LW2-LLT-36L-V6) not to sure where they would go, do they just slide into the pulley somehow?
and when im putting it on could i just lightly tap it with a rubber mallet, and then once its even just start the bolt and let that put it all the way on.
and also when im doing it up, cause its an auto cant really lock the engine, would i be able to buzz it on with the rattle gun with some red locktite, or is it important to torque to spec, because if my rattle gun easily got it off im sure it can get it tight enough.
cheers.

Last edited:

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
gday just askin a few questions on the underdrive pulley as im looking at getting one for my rattletec. ive already sorted getting the bolt out, dont know how but my little $200 toolpro rattlegun got it out pretty much instantly. didnt think it would be that easy at all. didnt even put up a fight lol. but anyway, i should have a pulley sorted too we got heaps at work.
saw someone saying something about a seal? would it be best to replace it, or if its in good nick just regrease/oil it?
also theres 2 bearings in the photo of the pulley, (https://www.maceengineering.com.au/...T-HOLDEN-ALLOYTEC-SIDI-LY7-LE0-LW2-LLT-36L-V6) not to sure where they would go, do they just slide into the pulley somehow?
and when im putting it on could i just lightly tap it with a rubber mallet, and then once its even just start the bolt and let that put it all the way on.
and also when im doing it up, cause its an auto cant really lock the engine, would i be able to buzz it on with the rattle gun with some red locktite, or is it important to torque to spec, because if my rattle gun easily got it off im sure it can get it tight enough.
cheers.
just realized what those bearings are, there for the idler pulley, fu*k im a dumb c*nt hahahaha. so are those just something you should replace cause theyll go bad, or is it to do with the underdrive pulley?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
gday just askin a few questions on the underdrive pulley as im looking at getting one for my rattletec. ive already sorted getting the bolt out, dont know how but my little $200 toolpro rattlegun got it out pretty much instantly. didnt think it would be that easy at all. didnt even put up a fight lol. but anyway, i should have a pulley sorted too we got heaps at work.
cheers.
The two "bearings" are quite clearly listed as idler and tensioner pulley.
They go where I have circled red.
Torque the bolt properly or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Attachments

• PBK601_diagram.jpg
    PBK601_diagram.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 75

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
just realized what those bearings are, there for the idler pulley, fu*k im a dumb c*nt hahahaha. so are those just something you should replace cause theyll go bad, or is it to do with the underdrive pulley?
Smaller pulley but same size belt the slack has to be taken up somewhere so bigger idler & tensioner pulley.
Though to be honest that is just an educated guess.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Smaller pulley but same size belt the slack has to be taken up somewhere so bigger idler & tensioner pulley.
Though to be honest that is just an educated guess.
yeah was thinking that something would have to take up the slack. but yeah just trying to figure out a few things before i buy it instead of going into it not knowing a few things. cheers bro

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
The two "bearings" are quite clearly listed as idler and tensioner pulley.
They go where I have circled red.
Torque the bolt properly or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.
what do you reckon i could do to stop the engine from moving other that jamming the flywheel with something. think i saw something where someone jammed a belt between the ac and harmonic balancer so they could tourqe it

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
what do you reckon i could do to stop the engine from moving other that jamming the flywheel with something. think i saw something where someone jammed a belt between the ac and harmonic balancer so they could tourqe it
There are 3 methods none of which I recommend but I was young once so have at it.
1. Get it as tight as possible until you can't go no further then use the rattle gun to go another 1/4 turn or bit more
2. Remove the starter and jam the flex plate with something to stop it turning
3. Remove a spark plug and get that cylinder just near tdc and thread some nylon rope in to jam up the piston so the motor doesn't move

See none are really good options although option 2 would be my choice if I was stuck.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
There are 3 methods none of which I recommend but I was young once so have at it.
1. Get it as tight as possible until you can't go no further then use the rattle gun to go another 1/4 turn or bit more
2. Remove the starter and jam the flex plate with something to stop it turning
3. Remove a spark plug and get that cylinder just near tdc and thread some nylon rope in to jam up the piston so the motor doesn't move

See none are really good options although option 2 would be my choice if I was stuck.
yeah first 2 sound like the go, id probably do the first one just as its a bit eaiser, ill put some loctite on too just so ill feel abit safer. i could probably tighten it as far as itll go with my rattle gun because i doubt it can get past 200nm, and ive heard people say you need to tighten them to about 315

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Even with a 500mm breaker bar you won't get it to 300nm without a big pipe on the end. Rattle it up and hold it on for an extra 15-20 seconds and leave it at that. I did my L98 and my CP air gun did it as tight as I could with the 500mm breaker. With the breaker I couldn't get it to go any more and I'm over 320kwatw. So I reckon your V6 will be fine.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Even with a 500mm breaker bar you won't get it to 300nm without a big pipe on the end. Rattle it up and hold it on for an extra 15-20 seconds and leave it at that. I did my L98 and my CP air gun did it as tight as I could with the 500mm breaker. With the breaker I couldn't get it to go any more and I'm over 320kwatw. So I reckon your V6 will be fine.
yeah ive got monster breaker bars and tourqe wrenches at work but i dont reckon itll be necessary. rattle gun should do the job.
do you reckon i should Loctite it or will it just make it 10 times more of a c*nt to get off if something does go wrong