Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS, Engine, Traction Control and Airbag Lights

BlackVT5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5.7
search is your friend.

abs modual

lol, i dont think he would find anything searching for modual. Try Module.

I've decided to spend the $800 and replace the faulty ABS module with a brand new one. I just hope this is the problem and that the lights don't come on again 2 months down the track...

Piece of piss changing the module over, biggest effort would be some of the screws which are a touch awkward to get at, but other then that its fairly straight forward.

Had the same problem with mine some time ago, ended up buying a new module on a swap basis with Automotive Service Solutions - Supplying the World's Best Brands to the Automotive Industry. for about $325.

KenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II V6
If the lights come on again including the OIL light unplug the ABS if OIL stays on may be oil sender.
another test is to read the ABS codes yourself by shorting pin 5 and 12 in the connector under the dash steering colum, use a paper clip then turn on key to bring up dash lights the ABS light will flash code 1 then 2 flashes three times then a new fault code three times each finally back to 12 at the end removing the short will reset the code as the engine ecu also stores code and it can be sent to a new abs unit. Good luck.

blownba

Reaction score
ABS module has failed. It corrupts the data bus line to the dash and will make it do really strange things.
Temp gauge will go screwwy, all sorts of warning lights...... Lots of different symptoms all ABS related.

Like it has been said just unplug the ABS module (slide the clip out to unplug) and drive like that.
If that is not the issue I will bare my bum in Burke street mall.

noozila

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
would disconnecting my ABS module make my power steering hard? As right now, with all the lights on there is a loss or lack of power steering.

club255

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Hsv WM Grange
would disconnecting my ABS module make my power steering hard? As right now, with all the lights on there is a loss or lack of power steering.

yep i had the exact smae prob on my vt calais every time the lights came on power sterring went funny.

noozila

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Best way to find out. Next time the lights come on, unplug your ABS module and check the lights again most of them will be gone like Airbag, Oil etc but trac off, trac low, abs off, will remain. If that's the case your ABS module needs changing. Get yourself a pair on swap over basis on ebay and you're good to go.

I have just tried this method, at first I though it went away since the ABS light and OIL light was off but then after a couple of sections. All lights when on like it was before.

BTW can changing your brake pads cause this to occur? Apprently, my partner said that it only started happening about my friend and I changed the brake pads. We didnt change the rotor, just the pads.

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Its likely if the ABS sensor or the cable itself is disconnected or damaged during the brake pad changeout it can trigger off your ABS warning light.

noozila

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Are you referring to the cable connected to the caliper? Is there abs sensors on the brakes etc etc? Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt - the abs, engine, trac control that is. But more often then it doesnt.

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
noozila im fairly sure that the statesman if thats the vehicle your referring too with the abs problems, has a electronic variable power steering system...so the abs unit failing could possibly cause these problems as it causes aircon to stop working and temp gauge to not work etc etc...then again i could be wrong...