Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Timing Chains replacement

05LVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VH/ V6 VE
did anyone have any noises to indicate timing chain? Mine has developed a loud rattle for approximately 5 secs at cold start, been like it for a few weeks. It has been to holden twice for diagnosis, but only today the engine light came on.

Holden have indicated it may be the cam phasers, anyone had any problems with these or replaced them along with the chains?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
^^ Wicked, mine is an MY08 so i'm glad it works in my favour.
How many k's should the 3 link chains last, driven 'normally' ?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
They shouldnt ever have to be replaced really, it was a design fault that caused them to stretch

05LVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VH/ V6 VE
a few questions about this job,

my VE is currently in pieces undergoing this job.

How do you remove the harmonic ballancer? I have undone the bolt and tried a few removing tools availalbe at supercheap, but they dont seem to want to grab anywhere to remove?
How do you get the power steering pump of? I have found 2x 13mm bolts that appears to hold the pump to the bracket, but ut wont budge?

Is it reccomended to drain the oil and coolant before removing the timing cover?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
a few questions about this job,

my VE is currently in pieces undergoing this job.

How do you remove the harmonic ballancer? I have undone the bolt and tried a few removing tools availalbe at supercheap, but they dont seem to want to grab anywhere to remove?
How do you get the power steering pump of? I have found 2x 13mm bolts that appears to hold the pump to the bracket, but ut wont budge?

Is it reccomended to drain the oil and coolant before removing the timing cover?

What style of puller are you using? A 3 claw one should do it

There is a third 13mm bolt which you can get to from underneath

It's up to you. **** will fall into the sump from the timing cover, plus if you dont drain coolant it will aswell.

05LVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VH/ V6 VE
tried both a 3 claw one and a 2 claw one, they dont seem to hold onto the rear of the balancer, I tried for hours
are there different types of claw removers?

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
harmonic balancer --- i used the 3 claw puller, found out as i tightened the puller bolt the claw would sometime slip so i get electrical tape wrap around 3 claws to hold its position so claws don't slip off.

power steering pump --- this and the a/c compressor are an effort to remove & install. behind the pspump pulley are 2 bolts, undo those through the holes in the pulley. if you can't push the pspump out of bracket try wedging a thick screwdriver on the side gap between bracket & pump and lever it out. and then unbolt the pspump bracket bolts 2 front & 1 side.

UPDATE: my VE is running beautifully no problems since I last did this timing job. happy.

05LVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VH/ V6 VE
whats the process/ trick to removing the balancer, other than the balancer bolt.
I finally got the 3 claw puller to hold, had to stop the engine from turning to. the ballancer wont budge, ended up breaking the puller.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
whats the process/ trick to removing the balancer, other than the balancer bolt.
I finally got the 3 claw puller to hold, had to stop the engine from turning to. the ballancer wont budge, ended up breaking the puller.

you need the flywheel locking tool in place where the starter motor goes in. this locks the engine from turning.