Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black and Chrome VR V6

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Yeah, I really like the VN too, it's got a pretty cool stance. Only it needs quite a few things done to finish it. The wheels on it are actually pretty crappy - the photos show the best side (unintentional - I didn't have time to turn the car round and shoot the other side) the wheels on the passenger side have all the chrome flaking off, and look pretty bad.

Plus it is de-registered. Dunno how it's done in Aussie, but here in NZ we get 1 year after the license/registration runs out, and then the car is "de-registered".
Bottom line is, to re-register it will cost in the region of a $900+ to, due to the fact it was originally a V6, so it needs an LVV (low-volume vehicle) certification for the V8, as well as the re-complicance check, and the cost of new plates, new warrant of fitness, and new license (registration).

And my VR has been sitting for about a year now, apart from being started every few weeks, and taken round the block every few months, because the trans is buggered. The whole idea was to get a nice 5ltr for the VR.

I'd love to get another V8 for the VR, and keep the VN as it is, but sadly I'm not rich, and I'm supporting a wife and two kids on one wage. Had to get a loan out just to buy this car - lucky for me the wife is keen on us having a V8 :thumbsup:
But, economics dictate I probably have to go with the original plan, do the engine swap, and then sell the VN with the V6 in it for cheap to try and get some of my money back. Then at least I'll have one sweet roadworthy Commo.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The VN looks good but not as good as your VR, stick the V8 and trans into your VR and get it registered.
The VR has much better front suspension geometry than the VN and would be a waste not to have a sweet sounding V8 under that glorious black paint work.
Good luck with your decision and look forward to a lot of work changing over everything.

alexp36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks Surfwagon. Yeah, that's probably how it'll happen. Luck for me my father-in-law is a mechanic, and he's real keen to help me do the swap (read: let me hand him the spanners), in fact he found the VN for me through one of his mates.

Just out of interest, here's a pic of his V8 Rover powered Trike which he is building from scratch in his garage (and I mean from scratch - he bent up the tubes for the chassis, got the front end custom made to spec, etc.) :

Trike_front_640.jpg

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Both cars are nice mate. Have to agree with Surfwagon, that black paint needs a V8 rumbler hiding behind it, but they are your cars, and both are hot as. Im just jealous cos i dont have a V8 and a blown 6 in my driveway.

Not sure why you would feel bad about putting a 6 back in it. Didnt you say thats what it started as. Not from NZ so correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt putting the Buick back in the VN be a good thing as it wouldnt need the low volume vehicle thing you mentioned, that would only be necessary for the VR as is my understanding. Or im an idiot and should just shutup right now! :D

Whatever you decide i am looking forward to seeing both cars finished. Good luck with them both mate.

alexp36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
LM8185,

Nah mate, you've basically got it exactly right - I'm gonna go ahead with the swap, and the VN will need re-compliance and new plates, but with the V6 it won't need the LVV.

Of course I'll still have to do the LVV for the VR once the V8 is in, but what the hell, I'm gonna cop that either way. I rang a guy who does them, and he said the standard fee is $450. And this swap should be the standard, cause it's all Holden bits, shouldn't be any dramas.

"Im just jealous cos i dont have a V8 and a blown 6 in my driveway."
- Yeh - what a problem to have eh? :yeah:
I'm not complaining really, I'm happy just seeing those two every time I go out to my garage.
Hanging out to know what the VR is going to be like with the 5ltr. The trans in the VN is supposed to have a Corvette servo, and the diff is LSD (checked that already), so it should go pretty bloody good after we swap it all over..

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
I am not a real fan of chrome wheels, but your ride has proven my thoughts wrong.. They look right at home with the black.. Well done.

alexp36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Cheers mate.

Yeah, I know what you mean - you walk a fine line between "Street Machine" and "blingy" with chromes, and all too often they lean way too much on the blingy side, if you ask me. In this case they look okay (in my opinion of course).

There's definitely wheels out there I like better if I had the cash etc, but I can live with these quite happily.

sedate looking

Reaction score
Website
uniqueridez.net
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Caprice.
For sure, i do like how yours looks with them though... I was thinking about trading mine a little while ago, and even though i posted NO CHROME WHEELS, the amount of people that wanted to get rid of their chromies was astounding.. I am keeping mine now, they have grown on me and get a lot of comments...

Car9-1.jpg