Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car won’t crank over and start first few times happens on and off

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
I’ve been noticing every now and again when I go to start my car is doesn’t crank over the first few times all the lights etc eliminate but no power to start the car

After turning the key off and and on about 3-4 times it eventually starts

What could that be? Checked the battery and has 68% charge and voltage stays at 14v

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
im getting a bit of the same thing lately but i can hear the starter motor solenoid activate on mine when i turn the key so im looking at starter motor replacement eventually when it starts getting worse. but not sure about yours.

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
im getting a bit of the same thing lately but i can hear the starter motor solenoid activate on mine when i turn the key so im looking at starter motor replacement eventually when it starts getting worse. but not sure about yours.
I hear nothing once all the lights eliminate.. similar to a flat battery just no power at all once I turn the key off accessories a few times it eventually starts

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
could be anything, needs more diagnosis

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
could be anything, needs more diagnosis
Keep you posted wirh a video and start up in the morning see if it does it again, plus we will see if we can hear the fuel pump and solenoid

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Keep you posted wirh a video and start up in the morning see if it does it again, plus we will see if we can hear the fuel pump and solenoid
I’m no expert, but have you cleaned your battery leads and connections?

SV607

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 & Holden EH Premier
Could be the ECU on way out. i had similar on mine.. would turn off and then back on and it would start.. mine has new battery charging fine. starter motor is 3 months old.. have u code scanned it with a Good Scanner to make sure its communicating ok..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can’t keep jumping to the ECM as a cause. There is an extremely detailed process to diagnose a faulty ECM.

Replacing an ECM based on hearsay and random internet searches is the equivalent of being convinced the cause of a faulty phone is because the phone company network must be out and replacing the phone network is required. In the end the phone still doesn’t work because th problem was always not the network.

So you have as much chance of solving the problem as not solving it. It’s called parts swapping. It’s not cool. It’s expensive and modules of any sort can get expensive.

There needs to be an evidence based diagnosis based on data. Not guesses.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Case in point. The broader story with this car was a PCM no coms. Computer had been replaced and still not fixed. It was parts swapped. Guesses thrown at it. They sold it.

This guy diagnoses it during his TAFE (US version) class.