Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman starting, but won't run

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
change the fuel filter and check the arrow in correct direction
but sounding like weak fuel pump

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
change the fuel filter and check the arrow in correct direction
but sounding like weak fuel pump
Fuel filter is in tank. Have to replace the entire assembly to change it.
While testing this afternoon, I got an svs code. Plugged in the scanner to have a look and all 6 coils "failed" so I'm leaning towards the ecu. Will have another look at the pump before I send it off.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fuel filter is in tank. Have to replace the entire assembly to change it.
While testing this afternoon, I got an svs code. Plugged in the scanner to have a look and all 6 coils "failed" so I'm leaning towards the ecu. Will have another look at the pump before I send it off.
you sure

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Nah so on the crewman it is in tank. But was wrong about not being able to change it. Other posts I'd read on the forum, while doing other jobs said that it was part of the assembly.
images - 2024-03-09T190005.608.jpeg

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
there is a strainer on the pump
but every VZ i have seen has a separate filter, i have never worked on a crewman though
maybe @Fu Manchu can confirm if there is a separate filter

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have got into the tank. Tested the pump and all seems fine. However couldn't see/hear the pump prime before starting. Fuel pump runs fine when cranking (accidentally shot fuel everywhere), but just doesn't seem to want to work when "running".
Test fuel pressure at the engine. There is a valve that you attach a fuel pressure meter to.

You can check fuel pump voltages from the plug hidden behind the wheel arch cover. Right rear wheel off. Remove the cover and there’s the harness plug. Use a bent needle or small safety pin carefully pushed into the back of the plug under the weather seal.

Be careful testing voltages at plugs when they are disconnected. A multimeter can easy “spread” the pins causing a loose contact which then creates a series of headaches you don’t want as you get random faults and codes.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
there is a strainer on the pump
but every VZ i have seen has a separate filter, i have never worked on a crewman though
maybe @Fu Manchu can confirm if there is a separate filter
There is not a separate filter. It is part of the assembly. It actually looks to be remarkably similar to the VE fuel pump assembly that has the hose off it to drawl fuel from the other side of the tank. I’d love to see if they are compatible other than the fuel sender. Another level of redundancy avoided.

I have photos somewhere. I’ll have a look for them.

Access by carefully sliding the tray back a bit. I say carefully because there is an earth strap attached to the filler and the filler pipe isn’t flexible enough to remain attached as well.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
just watching this
seems similar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
So update. Is not the fuel pump or filter. Just replaced both and still having the same issue. When the car is "on" I cannot hear the fuel pump priming before start. Tried jumping the relay and am getting noise from the pump as soon as the ignition is on, however, still having the same issue, where the car will start, but won't run. When the car shuts itself off, with the pump relay jumped, you can hear the pump still going. I've also checked and rechecked the wiring for the fuel pump. I'm only getting voltage with the car cranking. Have swapped out relays to see if that was the issue and still getting the same result.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So update. Is not the fuel pump or filter. Just replaced both and still having the same issue. When the car is "on" I cannot hear the fuel pump priming before start. Tried jumping the relay and am getting noise from the pump as soon as the ignition is on, however, still having the same issue, where the car will start, but won't run. When the car shuts itself off, with the pump relay jumped, you can hear the pump still going. I've also checked and rechecked the wiring for the fuel pump. I'm only getting voltage with the car cranking. Have swapped out relays to see if that was the issue and still getting the same result.
Are the the relays you are swapping out, the correct ones, as in the correct part number?