Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gaiter's 06 VZ SS Thunder

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Model :
'06 VZ SS Thunder Ute
Odo :
95,000 (when purchased)
Colour :
Impulse Blue
Engine Type :
L98 6.0Lt V8
Transmission :
6 speed Manual
Engine Mods :
- 4-1 Extractors (unsure of brand)
- Exhaust (unsure of brand)
- Duspeed OTR CAI

Wheels :
- VE SSV 20" Gloss Black
Suspension :
- Front: Stock?
- Rear: Pedders 2643 & KYB Excel G Shocks

Interior :
- Factory Black Leather
- Phreddy Dash Re-colour (White with blue needles and morphing tacho needle)
- Phreddy Aux Input

Other :
- Shortened shift
- Blackened badges (Plasti Dip)

Story so far:

Hey fellas first ride posting, been lurking for few years. I have only owned holdens, most been Ute's. First was a 1982 Holden WB with a blue 202 and four on the floor, second was a 1998 Holden VT executive, third a 2004 Holden SS ute and now this. I bought the 2004 SS because I couldn't find a 06 thunder in a Sydney car yard when I needed a new car and so settled on the 04 SS and spent the next 3 yrs waiting and watching.

Picked this up Saturday 5th Sept 2016 from a Gosford dealer and was pretty stoked.

To Do List (Constantly being added to on my phone):

- New Hard Lid locks
- Tint
- Tray Compartment
- Sound Deadening
- Tune
- Upgrade Brakes
- Cargo Catch
- Number Plates
- Exhaust
- Speaker upgrade + Bluetooth + Permanent MP3 with cut off button
- LED Interior lights
- HID/LED Fog lights
- Suede Interior
- Envyous Customs Bluetooth OBDII
- Coilovers
- Dashcam

Photos (Sept 2015):

Updated Photos (Aug 2016):
p50c6qf.jpg
POq8SRO.jpg

1hhda0x.jpg
Xc9Ubyo.jpg
aWNgxtx.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Thanks, not sure about the height of the rear myself.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Well, finally made a suspension purchase. Bought some Pedders 2643s second hand on eBay for $77 and plan to fit them this weekend. Ill edit this post on the weekend with height. Hoping to get some better ride quality than the bags but not sure on height/brand so thought I would start with some second hand Pedders and see how they go.

Before(30 psi):

After:

I also took pictures at different psi levels. Sorry about poor phone images. In order; 0psi, 20psi, 40psi

Overall happy with the level, see if it sinks a bit more. Rides so much better. No more bounce. Would have to have it at 40psi for it to be comfortable as a daily, 40psi is too high.

Last edited:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Also fixed the footrest pedal which wasn't a matching SS pedal and had broken. Bought a VY footrest and pedal cover off eBay. Had to drill into footrest and super-glue the cover on but looks good.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I haven't seen it until the last picture, glad it's a manual :D

Only way to go. And updated original post, hadn't realise I left the Transmission type out. Cheers

Very Nice ute mate - I've always wanted to get a VZ Thunder with the 6L in a Devil yellow since before I could drive.

Yea took me awhile to find one I liked. But always loved them, and the fact they got IMO the best 6L holden had to offer makes it sweeter.

Slight update - got rear-ended today on the way home from work:

O35oELV.jpg
nNnrlbf.jpg

But success of the day is got Phreddy booked in to do Headunit, AC and Cluster + Aux input!! It is awhile away, but still!

Last edited:
R

Risky

Bugger! not a nice thing to do to your new ride. That's a pretty hefty whack. Still, you can get a new tailgate & parts easily enough. Finding a decent spray painter might be a different story.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Bugger! not a nice thing to do to your new ride. That's a pretty hefty whack. Still, you can get a new tailgate & parts easily enough. Finding a decent spray painter might be a different story.

Insurance job. They got me booked in for an assessment tomorrow, get the quote / details Monday. The spray job / colour matching is the biggest concern I have right now. Ugh