Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much are 02/03 VY LS1 commodores these days?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
...I have been looking recently in the papers and any VY's with LS1's in them seem to be 24K approx no matter how old they are, but a VX with an LS1 can be picked up for as little as 13-15K if you look, I know the VY is a new model but I can't see that justifying such a huge leap in price for the LS1 versions.

VX LS1's were notorious for having problems (piston slap I think they call it) so that's why they're so much cheaper. Not to say that all of them have got it, but it scares most people off VX LS1's. :thumbsup:

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
all VX's by now would have the piston slap issue fixed, VTII's also had this problem.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I bet piston slap would be an expensive repair??

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Old man just traded in an 03 VY SS with 110,000 on the clock.

We got $17,250 for it (with all the hail damage and dints and scratches etc etc etc etc etc etc) So maybe they'll end up selling it for $20-22,000 or so.

If you dont mind a few extra km's you'll be able to pick up a nice SS for cheap.

I reckon go the SS over the SV8... Only coz of the extra appeal, but then again, the SV8 is a little quicker, due to less of the finer things that the SS has

Either way, You'll love the gen 3 VY's... Awesome cars.. (I miss the SS :()

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Old man just traded in an 03 VY SS with 110,000 on the clock.

We got $17,250 for it (with all the hail damage and dints and scratches etc etc etc etc etc etc) So maybe they'll end up selling it for $20-22,000 or so.

If you dont mind a few extra km's you'll be able to pick up a nice SS for cheap.

I reckon go the SS over the SV8... Only coz of the extra appeal, but then again, the SV8 is a little quicker, due to less of the finer things that the SS has

Either way, You'll love the gen 3 VY's... Awesome cars.. (I miss the SS :()

Damn, 22K for the real deal, a VY SS, I do agree with you on the SS having that bit extra in features and appeal, my main concern is insurance (I'm over 40 though) fuel consumption (but I also have a vt lpg wagon as a daily driver and the LS1 is for fun) and finally whether to get a manual or auto (auto probably easier to live with on a daily basis and manual a real driver's car which sounds great)

I would assume that piston slap issues would all be fixed by now, even and especially the VT's and VX's and with the BA falcon's success they would have no doubt fixed the VY.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I had my vt series 2 berlina for three years and never had an issue and it had the LS1 in it.
Just depends, not all of them had problems.