Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove a stuck ignition barrel VN-VS

brett Linney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina series two
My car is stuck up at the shops and its ****ing down!! I have to get my ignition un jammed so i can use the car to go get any parts??????? help

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Once it's jammed it's pretty much stuffed, you have to remove it using one of the above methods. Or call your local RAC.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
yeah, i always just used the center punch/chisel to get them out at work, i dont even bother with a G-Clamp on it, once the chisel grips in, well they can turn siezed bolts that will round with a single hex socket, so it shouldnt be too much trouble to undo a sheer bolt, and we do the same, just a normal bolt in the new one, same with BA ECU's, they have sheer bolts holding them in, we just use a hacksaw blade to cut a slot in them, and then use a flat head, and once again, just a normal bolt back in. And yeah, those ign barrel slides are a paint in the ass lol, i cant imagine having to do it by trial and error but

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
this is a good tut :thumbsup:

My VN ignition key was ok at first but when I wanted to get it cut the bloke tried to and spat the dummy because it wouldn't stay in he's machine and the key was ****ed. So I had to spend $25 bucks on holden just to get infomation off there computer that showed me the car's tyre size, the trans number, the engine number, the diff number, the key number and a couple other things that I can't remember where listed.. and I only wanted the damn key number.. The ****en skams.. $25 bucks for some computer nerd to look up some car details and print them in 2 seconds :bang:.

Anyway once I got the key cut with that number and lucky for me the door locks where still the same ;). even my engine and trans and diff number where the same lol.. although the trans was on it's way out and I later learned that the engine was rough because it had droped an intake valve.

But when I went to put the newly cut key it wouldn't turn.. but after wriggling it for abit it did eventially work.

Pitty I've sold the car now but this tut would have been handy back then.

But still great tut :thumbsup:

marvinstokes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Don't reach for the angle grinder just yet!!

I followed the instructions but could not turn the key to the 2nd position. Before getting the angle grinder i thought "What the hell!...the locks buggerred anyway!" I removed the metal key part from my plastic remote and pushed it into the ignition. I then gripped the key with some multi-grips and turned it to the 2nd position. I could hear some crunching of breaking metal but i perservered. Low and behold! - I pushed a paperclip* into the release hole at the top of the housing and pulled on the key with the multi-grips. The barrel slid out as easy as anything! I whacked in the new barrel I had got for $75 and everything is sweet!!

* Actually the paper clip that I used was the wire part of a "Fold back clip" from "Office works". The paperclips that I had were too weak.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

hotel_kilo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
+1 on the cold chisel method! I had to drop the steering column on the VP though!

The shear bolt is M8x16mm (1.25mm pitch). Cap head (allen key) screws are readily available & fit in the well in the strap. If you were mad keen you could fill the hex hole with epoxy!

Today I was quoted...
... about $160 for a new genuine barrel housing (apparently to suit VN-VR, VS is a different part) without switch or barrel from a well-known trade parts supply house.
... $160 for a complete aftermarket assembly with barrel, 2 keys, housing shear bolt & switch (at a nationwide auto retail outlet).
... $62 for an aftermarket barrel with 2 keys (again at a nationwide auto retail outlet).

Thanks all, for an excellent tutorial. The VP rides again!

david

Last edited:

rickychoeun

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 calais turbo
can i get the pictures of how you did it.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
sorry for the dig, but mines stuck (obviously) and i can get it turn all the way but the car wont start. everything was working fine but i hadnt started the car was listening to the stereo, then it wouldnt start so i took it out and locked/unlocked (immobilizer) but when i went to put the key back in again the ignition was stuck. What do i do replace ignition barrel? and why wont the car start?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It has probably snapped the pin off at the bottom of the barrel that oges into the switch.

Can you still turn the key to the on position? If so, you will be able to get the barrel out without cutting or drilling anything.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
yeah i can get it into on possy which out too much grunt