Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove a stuck ignition barrel VN-VS

Jordaneffer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Can someone upload a picture of the hole for the paperclip? Vr commodore i cant seem to find it

old_mate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Here is a video I made of complete repair of ignition barrel for a VR commodore.

Problem - Key does not turn ignition switch as it has broken off (cannot remove barrel from housing)

Repair - Remove ignition barrel housing (take out shear bolt), fit new barrel in housing, fit new ignition switch, parts sourced second hand from wreckers, total cost $120

Last edited by a moderator:

MajorMoFo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore [ex cop]
i did it with a chisel and came off pre ezy. I then got an entire setup including key delivered for $55, just swapped transponder over. Was using the" old " lock it then ulock it with the transponder and start with a srewdriver for a couple weeks beforehand.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Hey
Just a note to say a big thanks for the people that have posted here. You have saved me minimum 100 bucks, but could have been a lot worse if I got stuck somewhere.
So the quote from an auto electrician was $220, which was quoted by a couple for the complete job.
Went to Salisbury Locksmiths with my old barrel and key, they supplied and assembled a new barrel for my key and it cost $127. I was happy with that because I needed my car running, so couldn't wait for ebay, and it was a genuine holden part, and I didn't have to change any locks, winning!

Just a couple of things, I know it was mentioned, but at the first sign of your ignition sticking, fix it straight away, if you can't turn the key then the whole assembly needs changing, more money.
It is very straight forward to remove the barrel by following the instructions.
The key turns so much easier with the new parts, I will do my other car soon as well, just because of the improvement.

Also the part they supplied was 92172018, that one is listed on ebay for the VT onwards, but fits my 98 VS stato just fine. Not that I'm recomending to chase that part, just saying is all.

Cheers