Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove a stuck ignition barrel VN-VS

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series2 Executive wagon
So I got the new barrel from ebay. I took apart the steering column surround to get to the old barrel. When I put the paper clip in to remove the barrel I had no success. The key pulled out of the ignition and the barrel stayed put. I tried several different positions for the key, all with the same result. Any suggestion?

Anyway the old barrel doesn't appear to stick any more. It was only an occassional problem. So I now have a new barrel to use if the old one gives up on me totally.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
So I got the new barrel from ebay. I took apart the steering column surround to get to the old barrel. When I put the paper clip in to remove the barrel I had no success. The key pulled out of the ignition and the barrel stayed put. I tried several different positions for the key, all with the same result. Any suggestion?

Anyway the old barrel doesn't appear to stick any more. It was only an occassional problem. So I now have a new barrel to use if the old one gives up on me totally.

you would struggle with a paper clip I reckon, not impossible but harder....something the diameter of a coat hanger may make it easier....

Dazz

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The coat hanger idea sounds good. WOuld I need to put some graphite into the hole first to free up the locater lug? The car has spent a lot of the time on the coast, I'm wondering if some corrosion may have taken place. Also is it a bad thing that the key can be removed from any position, ie with the engine running?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The spring that holds the locator out is only very light so it takes bugger all pressure to push it in. Was the key in the "ON" position?

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried it several times in every position. Each time the key just pulled out of the ignition. I tried coaxing the barrel with a screwdriver also, but no go.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
I tried it several times in every position. Each time the key just pulled out of the ignition. I tried coaxing the barrel with a screwdriver also, but no go.

Maybe time to bite the bullet and call a Locksmith

Dazz

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might have to if it sticks again, but right now it seems ok, and I have the spare barrel anyway. Thanks for all the advice guys, this forum is great.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
My barrel stuffed up about a month ago to the point the key wouldn't move... All I did was get a centre punch on the bolt and had it angled and just kept tapping it anti clockwise.. Takes a while but eventually it gets it undone... Don't be afraid to give it a couple good hits if needed :)

Then when putting it back, cut into the head with a hacksaw that way you can screw it back in with a screwdriver... (Also, use locktight)

noremors

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore LE
There is an easier way, doesnt require power tools or drilling, all you need to do is purchase a new Ignition Barrel cost $80-100, bought mine at Holden dealer for $85.
First remove plastic cowling, Indicatore Stalk wich clips out, and Steering wheel.
Now use a hacksaw as the Lock is only soft metal cut the top of,dont worry to much at damaging the lip on the Housing as this lip is part of the Barrel, best buy a new one First. putting the blade in the hacksaw tooth in will allow you to cut easy, now that you can see inside the Barrel, you should notice on both sides there are cut outs where the Gates for the lock are, All you need to do is push the Gates from the lock(brass) so they dont protrude, may take bit of finees and second person is handy to turn the Key. Now all you need to do is put the key to the on position and use a large round object in the access hole above the lock. The lock should slip out quite easy but might be stuborn. If thats the case use a large screw driverto lever out, this is why that lip comes in handy, so dont cut it off!!

Gazza2005au

Reaction score
thanks for this thread my neighbours ignition just started getting stuck and he needs to replace it :lock: