Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove a stuck ignition barrel VN-VS

peterbriz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore executive
thanks guys , i just used the vicegrip on the key method and it worked , always try the easy way first .

vps231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS s2,Vp S, 180B SSS Project
My key is not stuck, It just turns the ignition on but wont click to the start position.

Does this mean i do not have to cut, drill, punch or chisel anything???

Cheers guys,
Daniel.

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Another vote for the vice grip method. I turned it, poked the hole with an Allen key and jiggled it out of there.

All good now with a second hand one. I will buy a new one off ebay that comes with a matching door lock. $90.00

Thanks again Commodore forum dudes.

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series2 Executive wagon
I just picked up a VR wagon 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that occassionally the key is reluctant to turn. Is this the start of trouble requiring a new ignition barrel or will graphite do the job?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's the start of the problem, replace the barrel while you are still able to turn the key.

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get onto it.

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, so I have ordered a replacement barrel from ebay. If I have read this thread correctly, I can replace the barrel without cutting and drilling. If I am reading this wrong can someone please explain it to me in words that can be understood by the village idiot. Pictures would also help.

BTW this forum is an exxcellent resource asI have limited cash for "experts".

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes you can.

Remove the plastic surround from the bottom of the steering column, there are 2 or 3 screws holding it on from underneath. Unclip the wire going to the key reader. Looking at the right hand side of the barrel towards the bottom there is a hole, turn the key to "ON" and insert a pin (paper clip works) and the just pull the barrel out.

You can key the new barrel to the old one fairly easily, once you get the new barrel you will see how it is done. You will need to assemble the spring clip that holds the barrel in place as well. Pull the old barrel apart taking extra care to keep the brass slides in the correct order, these are numbered and you will need to fit the new slides in the same order.

It sounds harder than it is, once you see the new barrel and start pulling the old one apart, you will see how easy it actually is.

leftleg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just waiting for the part to arrive. Sounds easy enough. Thanks again.