Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
VH also had vinyl seats standard and no air-con...my point being that things progress and what we thought to be ok years ago doesn't always fit the bill now.

His had cloth and air.....anyway my point was that the room was sufficient for us. I expect the NG will have more room again. Obviously, if you breed bigger/taller offspring it might have an impact.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
9 Speed Auto - Fact
230 KW - Fact
All Wheel Drive - Fact
Faster - Fact (Will be at least 1 second faster to 100kms than current V6 VF)
More economical - Fact
Handle Better - 200 kg lighter with AWD. Should handle better unless they really stuff it up.

Don't need to drive it. Just look at the facts.
And then there's the tech/features that it has that VF can't match:
-panoramic roof
-electric tailgate on wagon
-wireless charging port
-apple CarPlay and android auto
-360 degree camera
-lane keep assist and radar cruise control
-heated rear seats
-ventilated front seats
-rear USB ports
-split fold rear seats (finally!)

With the introduction of a Diesel engine, plus the availability of a SUV variant (think Subaru Outback style), this car will appeal to many people, except maybe the current enthusiast group who love V8's. The entry 4 cylinder version is faster than all current V6's and the new V6 leaves the current V6 for dead, but doesn't quite match the LS3 for outright speed. The VXR version should be very impressive, but will probably never appease current Redline buyers.

The biggest issue for Holden will be pricing and the long lead time that a product ex-Germany is going to mean. I would expect sales to drop to around 1,000 units a month, but at a much higher price level than the VF. Fleet/Rental/Police sales will drop off dramatically.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
The new V6 should be faster than an SV6.
I believe there are to be OPC cars in Europe, which will be AWD turbo 4's ... those, if they exist & are coming here, will also be faster than an SV6 Commodore.

Handling ... it depends. It'll be FWD biased, though, that seems to be difficult to work with when trying to make something with any feeling of involvement & balance.

It's unlikely they'll be as quick as a V8 VF though.

I doubt the 9spd will be any sort of problem. Drive a car fitted with the ZF 8spd, it's absolutely brilliant. Doesn't hunt, isn't confused, doesn't seem to be changing all the time; but it's just always in the right gear at the right time.

should be faster if the power to weight is lower, its smaller. cant fit 3 child seats in, only has connections for 2( so I've heard) fwd is good in snow areas (does Oz have much) 4cyl yeah right, they tried it once-successful-no! yes I'm a V8 rear wheel drive snob. I think that holdens/GM could've done better, don't like the look, they say we are getting a V8 sports, lets see!!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
When my dad bought his VH brand new, me and my sister were growing kids (teenagers) and we had no problem at all with space. I couldn't imagine the NG would be any smaller inside than a VH.

I had a VS II Exec from new in 1997 (and VK new, VN, VPII before that), with 2 kids, I don't recall it being too small, and the good size boot with the spare standing vertically allowed very good depth - better boot than the VT - VZ's. Anyway my point with the older Commodores like VB - VL is the wheelbase was 2668mm and VN - VS were 2731mm , VT - VZ at 2788mm, and 2915mm for VE/ VF. Those older cars cars that served us well at about 2700mm wheelbase, if you look at small cars today like a KIA Cerato and Hyundai I30 they are 2700mm wheelbase. In terms of width the VN - VS were about 1800mm wide pretty much the same as small cars today like the I30 and Cerato. I mention the wheelbase measurements as I think this is a guide to the interior space of a car. I think the NG will be quite adequate size wise for most at dimensions similar to VT - VZ cars. The Kia Stinger will be interesting to see particularly if you are keen on a rear drive car - might be a bitter pill to swallow though.

Last edited:

MALUR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice & VE2 Omega
I agree with a lot of the comments on here. I'm planning on holding onto the Redline, but when it comes time I think Kia Stinger or a Skoda will be the go. In fairness- I actually bought Redline without ever driving one- my emotional attachment after having 12 commodores variants (I'm 33 so that's a few) in V6 and V8 was main reason for purchase. With the format and origin changed it may well be a far superior car, but will be reason for me to check some other stuff out and those previously mentioned brands will be hard to beat I reckon.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Seems like the general consensus is that very few will be considering the NG.

On another thread most people (including myself) have said that they intend to keep their VF indefinitely. However, thinking about it further, one of my benchmarks of when to update a car is when you see the same model (in various states of repair) being driven by P-platers.

Look at how many shitbox VT-VX (and even some later) commodores there are getting around.

Do we still want to be driving VF's when the inevitable happens and kids are picking them up for peanuts and they become synonymous with P-platers?

Just a thought... ;)

You have to live through that phase of the car and then you are in the "Australian classic" phase where everyone compliments you for keeping yours looking stock and reminisce about the one they or their mates had once.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
And then there's the tech/features that it has that VF can't match:
-panoramic roof
-electric tailgate on wagon
-wireless charging port
-apple CarPlay and android auto
-360 degree camera
-lane keep assist and radar cruise control
-heated rear seats
-ventilated front seats
-rear USB ports
-split fold rear seats (finally!)

With the introduction of a Diesel engine, plus the availability of a SUV variant (think Subaru Outback style), this car will appeal to many people, except maybe the current enthusiast group who love V8's. The entry 4 cylinder version is faster than all current V6's and the new V6 leaves the current V6 for dead, but doesn't quite match the LS3 for outright speed. The VXR version should be very impressive, but will probably never appease current Redline buyers.

The biggest issue for Holden will be pricing and the long lead time that a product ex-Germany is going to mean. I would expect sales to drop to around 1,000 units a month, but at a much higher price level than the VF. Fleet/Rental/Police sales will drop off dramatically.

I think It's great that all this tech is coming. It's just a shame that development stopped on zeta / VF or otherwise we may have seen it on Aussie built Commodores.

will we also see stop/start technology? That seems to be the flavour of the month.

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
I think It's great that all this tech is coming. It's just a shame that development stopped on zeta / VF or otherwise we may have seen it on Aussie built Commodores.

will we also see stop/start technology? That seems to be the flavour of the month.

Start/Stop ... I hope not, hate it, was in mates merc and car would shake each time it restarted .... not nice.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Start/Stop ... I hope not, hate it, was in mates merc and car would shake each time it restarted .... not nice.
Some implementations you can switch it off (permanently too - I know there are some which turn it back on as soon as you turn the car off).

It's amusing when you rent a tiny diesel manual Fiat of some sort & nobody tells you it's got stop-start & you're not used to it (plus this was 5 years ago when it wasn't as common as now) ... you spend the first 2 days driving around in it wondering how the <expletive> you managed to stall the thing at the lights again. :)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
will there be a NG section added to this forum ... only commodore i will own is aussie made v6/8 rear wheel drive

In two minds on this one, need to move with the times is one side of the coin whereas the other is it isn't actually a Commodore.

Having said that we have small sections for other Holden variants ie Cruze, Barina etc.

I'm keeping an open mind as to what the future will hold, none of us particularly like change but learn to adapt and accept it.

When they come out will be the telling story, seeing pictures is one thing but flesh is another.