Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plater Hands Free Ban!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I think they are looking at the concetration factor, how you can get caught up in a converstation on the phone and get distracted from paying attention to your driving. Sure one can argue that passengers can do this also, but it makes you stop and think how long till they ban p-platers from having passengers totally.

I don't agree with this law totally, I think if you are going to be that radical thewn ban everything that involves taking your hands off the wheel unless it is to change gears, indicate or put your wipers and lights on.

Eating, smoking and drinking should be banned if they are going to go down this line. At least with a hands free you can keep both hands on the wheel. Try driving and eating a hamburger, steering with your knees! (Note for those with no sense of humour, like the head job joke before, I don't condone nor partake of this sort of behaviour in a car.)

Now THAT is much more informative! *high five*

Just so everyone knows, I'm not having a cry. I will be off my P's before this law comes into effect.

I just think there are much more pressing matters, in regards to road safety.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I just think there are much more pressing matters, in regards to road safety.

Agreed, defensive driving should be a part of learning to drive. Too much emphasis on how to reverse park but nothing on safety. So you get your licence and you can back into that space at the side of the road but later that day a dog runs out in front of you or one of many other scenarios and you have no idea how to control you car.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Agreed, defensive driving should be a part of learning to drive. Too much emphasis on how to reverse park but nothing on safety. So you get your licence and you can back into that space at the side of the road but later that day a dog runs out in front of you or one of many other scenarios and you have no idea how to control you car.

That's why they make you pay hundreds of dollars for defensive driving. It's like "We'll teach you to drive, if you pay us, and we'll also teach you how to control your car in slit second situations via defensive driving, if you pay us more of course".

They don't care about our safety, only making money.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
That's why they make you pay hundreds of dollars for defensive driving. It's like "We'll teach you to drive, if you pay us, and we'll also teach you how to control your car in slit second situations via defensive driving, if you pay us more of course".

They don't care about our safety, only making money.

If the government had any brains defensive driving courses could be subsidised from the money they take in from fines and the like. But then the government is better at just banning people from doing things rather than looking for positive ways to address matters.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0

Same with this new tailgating thing that's coming in. Instead of fining people for doing it, make them pay for a defensive driving course (like Mercotts, not a government ran one) and teach them the dangers of doing so. I could not count on one hand the amount of nose to tail crashes my Dad has had.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
No one answered my third point! :p

How will they police the 'no hands free' law?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
From watching those police patrol program's On tele I've seen them use someone's call history to prove whether they were on the phone..

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Firstly, this is rediculous. What's the point of hand free, then? Why not ban using the radio? That's surely more dangerous.

Secondly, how will this policed? A cop can pull you over for moving your lips while driving? I like singing along to the radio.

Thirdly, Android only app? That just cut out a HUGE chunk of P Platers...

Share your thoughts.
Suck it up princess :p