Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teen arrested for listening to rap music.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
i dont get the debate its illegal to play loud music in your house, more so if its offensive.

why should a car be any different??

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
Unfortunately I believe that this will turn into one of those laws that is defined by "personal desecration", same as those controlling the defect laws.
What one officer of the law will find offensive another may not, and at what point does this stop before "offensive behavior" is a new excuse to get the sub cultured teens off the street?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
i dont get the debate its illegal to play loud music in your house, more so if its offensive.

why should a car be any different??

This discussion is focused on the lyrics, not the loudness. I doubt it would be any different if you were playing songs with lyrics that could be deemed offensive loud enough to be heard in the street (from your home system) for the Police to knock on your door and discuss the matter. If you were rude and defensive to the Police, they could well do what they did in the OP's case and charge you.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Unfortunately I believe that this will turn into one of those laws that is defined by "personal desecration", same as those controlling the defect laws.

I think you mean 'discretion'. Desecration is to deface/devalue something, treat it derogatorily :p

The problem is it can't be all one way or the other. If you ban all offensive lyrics and charge anyone playing them loud enough for someone else to hear, nanny state. If you allow it all, the conservatives and uptights will complain. It has to be somewhere in the middle, but then it needs to be up to the officer's discretion, there's not really any othe options.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I think you mean 'discretion'. Desecration is to deface/devalue something, treat it derogatorily :p

The problem is it can't be all one way or the other. If you ban all offensive lyrics and charge anyone playing them loud enough for someone else to hear, nanny state. If you allow it all, the conservatives and uptights will complain. It has to be somewhere in the middle, but then it needs to be up to the officer's discretion, there's not really any othe options.

I can see it only happening in SA, but it wouldn't be just 'swearing' songs. All music can be offensive, so there wouldn't be ANYthing playing, ever...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I can see it only happening in SA, but it wouldn't be just 'swearing' songs. All music can be offensive, so there wouldn't be ANYthing playing, ever...

Well with most music thats released these days, that would be a godsend ;)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Well with most music thats released these days, that would be a godsend ;)

I rarely listen to commercial music, so couldn't say either way lol. I do however feel that way about older music. Old farts at my old work insisted the radio be on Triple M.

The point is, any lyric can be taken as offensive, therefore if the issue here was the offensive music, all music should be bannnnned

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
....The point is, any lyric can be taken as offensive, therefore if the issue here was the offensive music, all music should be bannnnned

exactly right, one music genre shouldn't be singled out, all must be the same. what i regard offensive may not be offensive to you etc etc.

the song that got him in trouble isn't offensive to me in the slightest, because its only music and its not like i'm the one that the lyrics in the song are directed at.

there could be songs out there that could offend me, but its only music.

tmerivale

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec
BUT, you dont have the right to intentionally force that sort of language on others that might have an issue with it due to age, religious beliefs etc.

Play whatever music you like, but excessive swearing, or racist, hateful etc remarks where I live (Or at excessive volumes after a reasonable hour) will get reported

do you report jehovas witnesses catholics christians or anyone else that comes knocking at the door trying to preach you the "right way of living"? i highly doubt it buddy

tmerivale

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec
Ill let you in on a secret, infact Ill let all of you in on a secret. This kid wasnt arrested because his taste in music is ****. He was arrested because he was playing offensive and vulgar music, LOUDLY, in the middle of a shopping center carpark. You may as well walk down to the Library and start screaming profanity, it will have the same outcome.

It has been against the law for god knows how long that you simply cannot walk around swearing incessantly in a public place, just because its not enforced a lot doesnt mean its fine to go and do it. It doesnt matter if he was saying it or not, it was his music and he refused to stop playing it and then talked back to the cop. He probally wouldve been let off with a simple warning had he have turned it down and said sorry.

Its like those morons who get pulled over for speeding, start talking **** to the top, then wonder why they get defected. He did something wrong, he was pulled up for it, talked **** then got an even worse punishment. Suck it up and stop crying.

PS. "I taught we were in a democracy"

Since when has a democracy meant you can break laws willy nilly?

clearly didnt read my next post not 5 minutes after the post you are talking about. both of my posts were more than half an hour prior to your post. i apologise for not editing my 1st post grennan