Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 2009 Commodore Gremlins. Please help

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
This is what has me wondering!!!
Your "mechanic" came and didn't load test the battery and you are borrowing one to test with.
Get a new mechanic for a start even if he has been the "family mechanic" for 20 years he sounds incompetent to start with.
Then if I was you I would join NRMA roadside assist as even they load test a battery and would jump start a car at a bare minimum and probably even tell you what is wrong.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
This is what has me wondering!!!
Your "mechanic" came and didn't load test the battery and you are borrowing one to test with.
Get a new mechanic for a start even if he has been the "family mechanic" for 20 years he sounds incompetent to start with.
Then if I was you I would join NRMA roadside assist as even they load test a battery and would jump start a car at a bare minimum and probably even tell you what is wrong.
He came to my place after work that evening. He didn’t bring any other electrical testing tools, only a fuse tester and a 0db2 scanner

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
He came to my place after work that evening. He didn’t bring any other electrical testing tools, only a fuse tester and a 0db2 scanner
As I said this story has so many holes in it if it was a boat it would be at the bottom of the ocean.
So he came to test a car that would not start with a fuse tester and a scanner.
Marvelous!

Also if he has been the family mechanic for 20 years why did he not offer to come back the following night with more equipment to test with? What sort of person just shrugs says it's telling me there is no engine and you need a auto electrician then hops in their car and goes home never to return?

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The only time my VE ever gave me the dings of death with a face full of random fault codes and wouldn't start was when the battery died. Happened to me twice in almost 15 years.
Fingers crossed a new battery gets you going again.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
The only time my VE ever gave me the dings of death with a face full of random fault codes and wouldn't start was when the battery died. Happened to me twice in almost 15 years.
Fingers crossed a new battery gets you going again.
The problem is in the very first message which you have obviously not read the OP states

Anyhow, I called the family mechanic to have a look. He checked all fuses, battery, everything
So now he is hoping a borrowed battery will fix his issues.

See to many holes in the story.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get the fricken battery load tested. Get its health checked.

Until that is verified you are 100% pissing in the wind.

Otherwise you are chasing phantoms.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The problem is in the very first message which you have obviously not read the OP states

So now he is hoping a borrowed battery will fix his issues.

See to many holes in the story.
Yes I read that.
So the mechanics appears to be better at oil changes than diagnostics lol. What's that got to do with getting the car going? Hopefully he just needs a new battery. Maybe he needs a new mechanic too, or a good auto electrician at least.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
What's that got to do with getting the car going?
A fait bit actually as the OP appears to have no mechanical knowledge at all and is reliant on his mechanic who looked at it said everything is good but the scanner says there is no engine. and that no mechanic can fix this you need a auto electrician.
Now he has come on a forum looking for help but bottom line he has no idea what he is looking at and even with photos and descriptions he has not said if even the fusible links are good.
What does the OP want from this forum? To learn or to just hope someone is going to say turn this screw 1/2 a turn and all your problems will go away.
The real problem here is not one NSW member has asked where he is located and would he like a hand and that is the real disappointing thing about this whole thread.
If he was in Adelaide and within a hour drive I would go out of my way to help for free (well maybe a coffee and biscuit) but I am old school and also I do know that no good deed goes unpunished.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe the engine has been stolen and the mechanic is right after all, and the real problem is nobody has popped the bonnet yet and had a look.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. What if there are ECM and BCM mismatched modules? Hmmm