Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
This is the post regarding my map update, that you have to pay for, the other update to get camera’s, school zones etc is a mylink firmwear update that is free but you need to ask for it.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-sat-nav.262527/page-23#post-2955117

I would also add to be very specific when you talk to your dealer, that the MyLink firmware update is a separate thing to the maps update and what you want.. some dealers don't seem to understand (mine was quite good) but some people have reported the dealer didn't get it... or do it.... or they thought you meant the map update.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I would also add to be very specific when you talk to your dealer, that the MyLink firmware update is a separate thing to the maps update and what you want.. some dealers don't seem to understand (mine was quite good) but some people have reported the dealer didn't get it... or do it.... or they thought you meant the map update.
I think the service process has been designed so that the technician simply plugs the car into their equipment and checks if any update is listed against a specific VIN.

I suspect it’s a purposefully constrained process to keep the manufacturer in control and that the knowledge of what software modules should exist within the various hardware modules of a specific VIN is defined within a database stored on a GM server somewhere on this globe.

The fact that these software modules, whether they are base firmware or map updates, all seem to be defined as a part number, similar to any other physical part you buy from spares. As such the service technician only needs to know that it’s handled via the tools he has access to.

To support the dealership, the manufacturer may have provided a service bulletin that specifics an update does exist to correct a specific issue but not much more as I understand it. The real problem for us owners is that there is no way for us to check what each module is for, whether an update exists for it, what problem is resolved or feature added. We are in the dark (often along with HCC).

So while I agree with your sentiment, i think it is more an issue of whether the service tech CBF pressing the required buttons to check if any updates exists against a VIN. However, most I’d think would do that part of their job correctly.

If only the service department was required to provide a printout showing their checks indicated no software updates exised, just like the printout I got stating the battery check showed it was OK. I’d feel more comfortable with a printout than a verbal statement.

Obviously my suspicions are based on some reading various bits of info scattered across the web so may be completely wrong. But if I’ve misunderstood the service process, I’m happy to be corrected as i feel it is important to understand the basics of how things are actually done.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
So while I agree with your sentiment, i think it is more an issue of whether the service tech CBF pressing the required buttons to check if any updates exists against a VIN. However, most I’d think would do that part of their job correctly.

Not real sure, however from what I've read and observed, the dealer needs to download the firmware specific to your VIN... and often this is done before you go to the dealer for the service... so I suspect they don't actually check when it's plugged in, but rather check your VIN online (without the vehicle). This would also explain why customer service can you tell you if your vehicle has a firmware update available over the phone or online.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yep, i'd expect it should be possible to check via the service equipment when the car is plugged in OR via the back office systems by entering a VIN. The two methods are not mutually exclusive ;)

In any case, Joe public USA must be smarter than Joe Public AU. The 'former' can buy a MyLink map update via GM's web site and install the VIN locked software they get on USB all by their smart selves. The 'later' must go to the dealse service department to have their maps updated o_O ( if the dumb buggers can even remember the directions to the dealership as they can't rely on the outdated maps in all cases... which sucks :eek: )

petermaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maloo VY Ser2 R8
Just finally received a reply from Holden in regards to a map update for the VF.
Just was wondering if anyone's had it done? or knows when the date it was released?
theyve basically replied after a month saying " go to your dealer, they should have a USB memory card"

S:S
Well it's the same in NZ I took my VF Ser2 in for its first service Dec 2018 and Complained about the Lousy OUT OF DATE Maps -- But Get this told there was a Update but would cost me $800 NZ - I complained stating the Ute had less than 3000Ks and was less than 12 months old and I had just handed over 50k into the purse of Holden But To no avail - Ah I thought Holden NZ send a message after one reply No contact - Question is if Holden sell a Product and charge the stupid prices we pay for we should get the Bloody service we have all paid for - SHAME ON YOU HOLDEN

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Did I just get charged for a map update that wasn’t updated?

I had my car serviced last week and I asked for the GPS maps to be updated if available. When I picked the car up, I was invoiced for a ‘Sat Navi Map Update V20’ and when I popped in to the car, I noticed that the MyLink had been reset to defaults. So, I figured that everything had been done.

However, I did have the foresight to take photos of the software version numbers the night before the car was serviced. I checked the car yesterday and all the software version numbers were the same as before the update!

I took the car back to Holden to query the ‘update’. The service receptionist assured that I had the latest maps. Showed them the photos of the software version numbers and said that nothing had changed with the ‘update’. They assured me that the wouldn’t have charged me if it wasn’t updated. They said that the version numbers are nothing to do with the maps! I queried that too. They went and got the service manager who checked the car and confirmed that the maps were the latest version (30.12.10.11). I showed the service manager my photos taken the night before the service which showed the same version (30.12.10.11). He was perplexed and checked another car to confirm that it was the latest version. He said that the system should have flagged that the car already had the latest software and didn’t need updating.

The service manager is going to check with Holden/GM to see why they weren’t alerted to the software already being the latest.

So, I recommend checking your software versions before and after an update. It seems that I have been charged for an non-existent update.

I’m awaiting to hear back from the service manager as to what went wrong, and what will happen with the charge.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Software version and map versions are two different numbers in Mylnk

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Well it's the same in NZ I took my VF Ser2 in for its first service Dec 2018 and Complained about the Lousy OUT OF DATE Maps -- But Get this told there was a Update but would cost me $800 NZ - I complained stating the Ute had less than 3000Ks and was less than 12 months old and I had just handed over 50k into the purse of Holden But To no avail - Ah I thought Holden NZ send a message after one reply No contact - Question is if Holden sell a Product and charge the stupid prices we pay for we should get the Bloody service we have all paid for - SHAME ON YOU HOLDEN

I can't believe they want to charge you NZ$800 for a map update -- that has to be a mistake. That sounds more like the additional cost of the whole satnav system! Updates here in Oz cost about AUD$130 if you have a scheduled service at the same time, or about AUD$170 without the service. I think the latest update here in Oz is dated 1st quarter 2018. If Holden NZ won't do anything, try sending an email to Holden Customer Care in Oz -- maybe they can shake up their cousins across the 'dutch'. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@chrisp looking at Software Version Information page within MyLink will show what’s loaded.
These two pages have various items listed but there is no clear correlation between the part number and it’s function (be it some firmware object or data object or however it’s partitioned).

Having said that, @RoganJosh seemed to be one of the first to get map updates done on his VF and sadly he needed to take Holden to small claims to get it done. If I remeber correctly part of that settlement was a Holden document that listed the map version as always being the third part number from the bottom of the software information list.

So taking that into consideration, my Motorsport which had recently had its first service done, also had a map update done where the map data part number “84019250 Version 30.11.0F.11” was updated to map data part number “84160883 Version 30.12.10.11”. This was the only change reflected in the software version information pages.

So from my perspective, it absolutely seems that map data 30.12.10.11 is the latest unless new maps were released in the last month. Just as an FYI, this map data version was released around March 2018.

If all other software items are the same as before your service, I’d say you’ve been stiched up. If something else was updated (system firmware for example) then the tech may have simply been confused as to what object was updated and charged you thinking he updated the map data but this does not seem the case as nothing has changed pre/post service.

As a side, firmware correct faults so should be free under warranty. They should also be free outside warranty since it is faults being corrected, not some new feature being added like Apple car play or android auto (which many would line up to pay for su h an update).

So, get them to refund the charge and as a guesture of good will get the dealer to provide a free map update whenever Holden gets around to releasing the next one (later this year or early next year).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
@chrisp looking at Software Version Information page within MyLink will show what’s loaded.
These two pages have various items listed but there is no clear correlation between the part number and it’s function (be it some firmware object or data object or however it’s partitioned).

Having said that, @RoganJosh seemed to be one of the first to get map updates done on his VF and sadly he needed to take Holden to small claims to get it done. If I remeber correctly part of that settlement was a Holden document that listed the map version as always being the third part number from the bottom of the software information list.

So taking that into consideration, my Motorsport which had recently had its first service done, also had a map update done where the map data part number “84019250 Version 30.11.0F.11” was updated to map data part number “84160883 Version 30.12.10.11”. This was the only change reflected in the software version information pages.

So from my perspective, it absolutely seems that map data 30.12.10.11 is the latest unless new maps were released in the last month. Just as an FYI, this map data version was released around March 2018.

If all other software items are the same as before your service, I’d say you’ve been stiched up. If something else was updated (system firmware for example) then the tech may have simply been confused as to what object was updated and charged you thinking he updated the map data but this does not seem the case as nothing has changed pre/post service.

As a side, firmware correct faults so should be free under warranty. They should also be free outside warranty since it is faults being corrected, not some new feature being added like Apple car play or android auto (which many would line up to pay for su h an update).

So, get them to refund the charge and as a guesture of good will get the dealer to provide a free map update whenever Holden gets around to releasing the next one (later this year or early next year).

I was a bit brief with details in my post...

All part numbers and versions numbers pre-service and post-service were all identical. The service manager had a printout of the service procedure and he confirmed that the ‘third last’ set of numbers relate to the GPS maps and that version 30.12.10.11 is indeed the latest.

It seems that I already had the latest prior to the service. What they are questioning is how their system allowed an non-existent (or not needed) update to be installed - for which I was charged for. After all, the updates are all VIN locked and they simply follow instructions from the central server when updating.

I’ll sort a refund or credit for future maps with them when they call back.

I mainly posted to alert others that they too might be paying for updates that aren’t needed, or aren’t being done.