Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ yeah, the dealer should as a matter of process take a snapshot of software version information before and after and provide such to the owner rather than rely on a software system update always working correctly and billing on that assumption.

It’s an obvious stuff up as you’ve shown so I don’t understand why the dealer needs to sort out why and how the stuff up occured before they refund you for the incorrect charge. They should refund now and then chase the issue via back office channels. Also providing a voucher for a free map update or free next service would be a nice way to say ‘sorry for the overcharge error’.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Same thing happen to my update, I had take photos of all versions and number and after stressing to the salesman when I bought the Calais second hand I wanted the maps updated when I picked it up and the highway which had been open for years wasn't on my maps, through this forum I had they were 2016 maps, the dealer did an update when I got it serviced but same as you the numbers were still the same, so they had another go and it did update this time, which is still old and not showing some of the Pacific highway.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Did I just get charged for a map update that wasn’t updated?

I had my car serviced last week and I asked for the GPS maps to be updated if available. When I picked the car up, I was invoiced for a ‘Sat Navi Map Update V20’ and when I popped in to the car, I noticed that the MyLink had been reset to defaults. So, I figured that everything had been done.

However, I did have the foresight to take photos of the software version numbers the night before the car was serviced. I checked the car yesterday and all the software version numbers were the same as before the update!

I took the car back to Holden to query the ‘update’. The service receptionist assured that I had the latest maps. Showed them the photos of the software version numbers and said that nothing had changed with the ‘update’. They assured me that the wouldn’t have charged me if it wasn’t updated. They said that the version numbers are nothing to do with the maps! I queried that too. They went and got the service manager who checked the car and confirmed that the maps were the latest version (30.12.10.11). I showed the service manager my photos taken the night before the service which showed the same version (30.12.10.11). He was perplexed and checked another car to confirm that it was the latest version. He said that the system should have flagged that the car already had the latest software and didn’t need updating.

The service manager is going to check with Holden/GM to see why they weren’t alerted to the software already being the latest.

So, I recommend checking your software versions before and after an update. It seems that I have been charged for an non-existent update.

I’m awaiting to hear back from the service manager as to what went wrong, and what will happen with the charge.

Just to update the forum on this...

I went back to Holden today after not hearing anything from them. Apparently they had called me and left a message but I hadn’t received any calls nor messages from them.

Anyway, they have provided a credit for the cost of the GPS map update so I can either use that credit towards the next service or an map update. They offered to refund too, but said it was easier to simply provide a credit.

I didn’t hear how the GM system managed to provide an update to a MyLink that already had the latest maps - so didn’t need updating - and charge me for it too!

It was fortunate that I recorded the pre-update version numbers (by the way of photographs) prior to the update. They were quite adamant that the system wouldn’t do the update if it wasn’t needed and that they certainly wouldn’t charge for an update that wasn’t needed (nor done). They were wrong on both accounts. Without photographic evidence I think that I would have been out of pocket for nothing.

I suggest that everyone should record the version numbers prior to having an update done - and check that the version numbers actually change after the update.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I need to look into this as well.
I paid for my satnav to be updated last year and it doesn't show cameras.

Further on to my post on 15 Jan 2019

I’d had all the updates done to the maps and firmware in my Ute a year or so ago and it was only recently I’d realised I had school zones and railways showing in my points of interest but no speed cameras.

My rear camera has always had the grid lines that bend as the wheel is turned since the day of delivery.

I took the Ute to the dealer about a month ago for a check and they confirmed I should have had the cameras with the last updates and they also told me there appeared to be other problems with the software and it was not unusual for the updates not to take properly and they’d do the update again.

Yesterday I had the updates reinstalled and on the way home I received 2 alerts for school zones which I’d never received before so I'm guessing that must have been a part of the other problems with the software and 2 for speed cameras which were removed from their locations about 5 years ago but the system still thought they were there.

It’s not easy to check for active speed cameras as there aren’t many in my area but I will hunt one down to confirm it’s working okay and I’ll check the railways tomorrow as there is a crossing close by.

So far I’m happy with the outcome and without this thread I wouldn’t have known I had a problem.

So thanks to those who have participated in the discussion.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Further on to my post on 15 Jan 2019

I’d had all the updates done to the maps and firmware in my Ute a year or so ago and it was only recently I’d realised I had school zones and railways showing in my points of interest but no speed cameras.

My rear camera has always had the grid lines that bend as the wheel is turned since the day of delivery.

I took the Ute to the dealer about a month ago for a check and they confirmed I should have had the cameras with the last updates and they also told me there appeared to be other problems with the software and it was not unusual for the updates not to take properly and they’d do the update again.

Yesterday I had the updates reinstalled and on the way home I received 2 alerts for school zones which I’d never received before so I'm guessing that must have been a part of the other problems with the software and 2 for speed cameras which were removed from their locations about 5 years ago but the system still thought they were there.

It’s not easy to check for active speed cameras as there aren’t many in my area but I will hunt one down to confirm it’s working okay and I’ll check the railways tomorrow as there is a crossing close by.

So far I’m happy with the outcome and without this thread I wouldn’t have known I had a problem.

So thanks to those who have participated in the discussion.

My Magnum gives alerts for 'some' speed cameras, but nowhere near as many as I get from my VE and E3 with the 2016 'update'...:(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.... I took the Ute to the dealer about a month ago for a check and they confirmed I should have had the cameras with the last updates and they also told me there appeared to be other problems with the software and it was not unusual for the updates not to take properly and they’d do the update again....
I hate such rubbish statements spouted by the dealer service department because if it's "not unusual for updates not to take properly", you'd expect any decent organization to modified their work procedures to actually confirm all is well before actually delivering the vehicle to their customer.

Guess the important part is "any decent organization" o_O

Holden also has a lot to answer for by not providing a mechanism to actually correlate map data version and POI data version to the a date that the data was compiled (by map data provider - not by Holden massaging it to fit MyLink).

My Navman can correlate the map and POI data to a year.month while Holden provides a rubbish part number abstractions which is of little to no use to us owners. That's because i've got the latest maps part number available but i have no idea how old the map data actually is (consensus at HCC seems to be around 2 years old it seems).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My Magnum gives alerts for 'some' speed cameras, but nowhere near as many as I get from my VE and E3 with the 2016 'update'...:(

That doesn't surprise me.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I hate such rubbish statements spouted by the dealer service department because if it's "not unusual for updates not to take properly", you'd expect any decent organization to modified their work procedures to actually confirm all is well before actually delivering the vehicle to their customer.

Guess the important part is "any decent organization" o_O

Holden also has a lot to answer for by not providing a mechanism to actually correlate map data version and POI data version to the a date that the data was compiled (by map data provider - not by Holden massaging it to fit MyLink).

My Navman can correlate the map and POI data to a year.month while Holden provides a rubbish part number abstractions which is of little to no use to us owners. That's because i've got the latest maps part number available but i have no idea how old the map data actually is (consensus at HCC seems to be around 2 years old it seems).

You're probably very right but not many organisations or companies come out and say they stuffed up when the chances are the customer isn't going to know what's going on to start with.

I wasn't even smart enough to pick up I had a problem until I was reading this thread and it dawned on me that I couldn't remember getting any camera warnings during my trips to Sydney and when I checked the SatNav menu it didn't show the cameras just schools and railways.

I'd had the updates done over 12 months earlier before I realised.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
So from my perspective, it absolutely seems that map data 30.12.10.11 is the latest unless new maps were released in the last month.
My car is booked in for scheduled service next month, and i asked about an update today.
They of course said yes no worries, its $126 let me know if you want to proceed.

where of course i responded with my car has version x from service bulletin y.

her response
Holden Service Advisor said:
Oh in that case then no there isn’t I’m sorry.

Unfortunately that is the “newest” update available, They haven’t release another one since February 2018 and probably won’t until 2021.

so much customer satisfaction

Last edited:

Howdy6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY14
My car is booked in for scheduled service next month, and i asked about an update today.
They of course said yes no worries, its $126 let me know if you want to proceed.

where of course i responded with my car has version x from service bulletin y.

her response

so much customer satisfaction
Feel ya pain, I paid that for the last up-date and it was 3 years old and still sends me on wild goose chases and round in endless circles, not to mention the 3 year old speed limits, no amount of whinging will get you anywhere. Better off using maps on the iphone.