Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm just not convinced that people wanting the appliances that Holden now sell would bother or care about whether they could pay $1k for an upgraded MyLink system.

But isn't it all about the gadgets these days ?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
^ Yeah, that’s the common sentiment, but Holden providing a paid for MyLink feature” update to include AA/ACP can generate future sales though good will between seller and buyer.

And if bumping QNX from version 4.2 (as I think is used in VF) to version 5.0 (which provides AA/ACP software module) requires any hardware update, then so be it. Simply include it in an upgrade kit. Or better still upgrade to something more modern and open than QNX.

But dumping regular map updates and effectively orphaning a product is simply burning current customers and such behaviour can kill any good will and the prospect of future sales along with it. So it can’t and shouldn’t all be about making $’s now. Such is simply the myopic GM vision that has resulted in their slow death.

At the end of the day, if @TazzI can get somewhat down the track to being able to retrofit the newer MyLinks into the VF, then imagine how more effective it would be if he had access to GM/Holdens documentation. I doubt it would take more than one man year which puts development in the $1/$10/$100 per vehicle with a 100%/10%/1% uptake (being that there are 150,000 VF’s out there). So I really doubt it’s as costly as many seem to imply. GM/Holden should just get off their but and just do it.

Probably it will be @TazzI that solve the problem for us all but I won’t be buying another GM vehicle going forward. I’ve had a belly full of HCC and the dealers already o_O
Ill be buying a C8 if I can ever rationally afford it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Only if already fitted … tinkering/changing the standard car, notsomuch.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Id love to continue hacking away at the mylinks, my next steps which I was working on was dumping the entire firmware so that I could better understand its structure, and then work out if I can make custom QNX applications to run on the system which is only a matter of paying for the QNX SDK and diving straight in. Could even provide as actual USB updates, since firmware dump would give access to encryption keys needed for update files.

Anyways, this became irreverent after playing with the newer radio systems which already have carplay and other functionality. This currently is very much a pipe dream as I have no idea how much time is required to make the buttons all work correctly.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems to be but not in the way you may think.

I recently read that with one brand of vehicle, the infortainment system has a gps module that provides the time signal for the rest of the vehicle’s systems. If the infotainment module fails, the car simply won’t start.

It’s not a huge problem while new parts are readily available, or the knowledge exists in the aftermarket to repair the faulty unit. BUT it will be progressively more expensive as the vehicle gets older (or it gets harder for the aftermarket to develop the knowledge due to lack of information from the manufacturer) to the point of not being repairable. It’s yet a another way to simply make the vehicle completely obsolete in 10 years.

And as is, you simply can’t by a ‘normal’ car without gadgets these days... So unless you can afford a stripped down race Porsche or something similar (where you pay more to not have things in the vehicle) you’re stuck with gadgets that can result in the car not starting.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Seems to be but not in the way you may think.

I recently read that with one brand of vehicle, the infortainment system has a gps module that provides the time signal for the rest of the vehicle’s systems. If the infotainment module fails, the car simply won’t start.

It’s not a huge problem while new parts are readily available, or the knowledge exists in the aftermarket to repair the faulty unit. BUT it will be progressively more expensive as the vehicle gets older (or it gets harder for the aftermarket to develop the knowledge due to lack of information from the manufacturer) to the point of not being repairable. It’s yet a another way to simply make the vehicle completely obsolete in 10 years.

And as is, you simply can’t by a ‘normal’ car without gadgets these days... So unless you can afford a stripped down race Porsche or something similar (where you pay more to not have things in the vehicle) you’re stuck with gadgets that can result in the car not starting.

Well that is crap.

Built in redundancy suck balls.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Well my baby is due for its final warranty service in 2 weeks and I was thinking i'd like to get the maps updated cos I've found some serious deficiencies even on the Gold Coast causing the odd excursion. After searching as best I could for an answer it seems that there have been no updates since 2018 - "84160883 v 30-12-10-11". I asked when booking in for service and was told their last bulletin for VF2 was around July 2019. Said I wouldn't bother if it was the 2018 update and wait for a miracle next year. Anyone got any learned first hand knowledge they can share??? Thanks

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Said I wouldn't bother if it was the 2018 update and wait for a miracle next year. Anyone got any learned first hand knowledge they can share??? Thanks

Mine's pretty good if you live in Bedrock.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Unfortunately, I think that the chance of a map update diminishes proportionally to the chance of GM pulling the Holden brand in Australia.