Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Brakes

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
hello, ive been looking through the forum but cant find anything relevent,

I have a 94 VR V6 commodore executive of which I have got the brakes completely overhauled becuase it generally was sh*t

All brake callipers overhauled
All new pads
New master cylinder
Reco Brake booster from repco.

All the work was carried out by Holden.

After recieving the car i wasnt happy with the feel of brake, but have been driving it for a week now hoping that the new parts would wear-in and probably gradually get better. But its not!

I have taken it back to holden who say the brakes are ok but have bled the system anyway.

To me the pedal is too low and you have to push just a bit harder to slow the car. However the pedal isnt all the way down to the floor. In other words the spot you hold the pedal to keep the car stationary in drive is too low, for example at the lights.

with my foot on the brake i have to push about 2 inches down before any effective braking is felt.

i know its hard to imagine but i hope ive given enough information.... is this how the brakes are meant to be??

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Welcome to the world of Commodore brakes. 2" of travel from the top before the brakes grab is actually pretty good for a VR.

One of the most effective ways to improve the brakes is to fit slotted rotors and performance pads. Other than that, spend close to $1K upgrading to larger rotors and calipers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Or you can do it cheaper by fitting softer pads that grip much better....they wear quicker and make a lot of dust but will give the best grip.

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
thanks a lot guys for your feedback!

ROB83R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP spack ute
The dodgy pedal can be fixed by fitting a better booster and master. The easiest option is to find a 1"master and booster from a vl turbo or vn vp v8 etc. Or you can fit a vt booster and master. There is a thread on here floating around with DIY instructions. I have seen a vs booster with a vt master bolted onto it however there was no report on brake feel and effectiveness.