Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz misfire and injector circuit issues.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
And the under lying cause. High resistance earths that generate heat in the circuit and heat in the drivers that eventually burn them out.
After 42 years as an aircraft and ground support equipment electrician, this statement is a new one for me, and goes against every electrical theory known to mankind. What would burn out/give drivers a hard time is excess current flow though them, which would occur with a short circuit to earth/shorted windings in the injector coil - not a high resistance/open circuit, which would reduce the load on the driver. A bad earth/high resistance in the circuit would certainly affect the operation of a fuel injector, but wouldn't affect the ECU driver at all. By all means, the OP should carry out a continuity check of the circuit, to see if there is an issue with the injector or the injector circuit, to eliminate any issue there.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I read it in a Holden tech bulletin.

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
I had a similar fault on mine.
It was running lumpy on 5 cylinders but would come good after 5 minutes or so after warming up.
It was OK for about 6 months then started playing up again semi regularly so I got a basic scan tool to see what faults were showing.
It indicated cylinder 2 injector circuit fault. For some reason I neglected to check the individual resistance of each injector and assumed it was the ECM at fault as they are a known cause. So i took it to a place and had it "repaired". They didn't say there was or wasn't anything wrong with it so I naturally thought it was the problem.

It all worked OK for a month or so then began to play up again with the same fault code, but this time around it didn't come good after warming up so I was driving it for several days like that until I had time to look into it and do something with it. This time I checked the resistances of each injector and the number 2 was out of spec.

So after viewing a couple of youtubes on how to change them I did it myself. It did take a bit of messing about but it has been good ever since.
To have a mechanic do that should be no more than an hour plus parts, which in my case was only the injector as the top manifold gasket had been replaced before with a metal one so it was able to be reused unlike the original paper/card ones.
The injector was sourced from Repco for about $35.
Changing the injector is the cheaper first option I would go for.
Thanks for the heads up mate.
After getting a quote for $1000 for parts labour and to replace all injectors as per recommendation from said mechanic. Man these kinda blokes **** me to tears, god knows how crew they've ripped off.
So with nothing to lose I went to autopro got an injector for $40 put it in, reset the ECU and what do you know.
Issue sorted codes cleared and running better already.
I'll grab five more injectors at some stage and replace them all for another $200.
Thanks again mate.

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
I read it in a Holden tech bulletin.
Thanks for your help mate.
Issue resolved decided to just have a crack myself at removing the injector.
Just outta sheer spite for the stooge mechanic a spoke to in the morning.
( Details in reply to another user)
Anyways thanks again for your advice and that of the other posters involved in this forum.
Cheers John

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for your help mate.
Issue resolved decided to just have a crack myself at removing the injector.
Just outta sheer spite for the stooge mechanic a spoke to in the morning.
( Details in reply to another user)
Anyways thanks again for your advice and that of the other posters involved in this forum.
Cheers John
That’s awesome.

As for @bcw61, this whole thread smells of why I try my hardest to teach myself this stuff. Your post is super helpful. In fact it’s the stuff floating around in your head that is of tremendous help to the forum. Well. Not all the stuff because some of that is just weird and should stay in your head, but the aircraft and automotive stuff is important.

I started teaching myself as much as I could because I knew when I was getting taken for a ride by workshops, who themselves didn’t know. Parts cannon loaded. Charge the customer.

In recent years I’ve immersed myself in tech bulletins, and the factory manual to learn what so many don’t know and should know.

I spend a lot of time caring for someone and waiting in the hospital system. So this fills the time well.

Please keep sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:

jayess

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
That’s awesome.

As for @bcw61, this whole thread smells of why I try my hardest to teach myself this stuff. Your post is super helpful. In fact it’s the stuff floating around in your head that is of tremendous help to the forum. Well. Not all the stuff because some of that is just weird and should stay in your head, but the aircraft and automotive stuff is important.

I started teaching myself as much as I could because I knew when I was getting taken for a ride by workshops, who themselves didn’t know. Parts cannon loaded. Charge the customer.

In recent years I’ve immersed myself in tech bulletins, and the factory manual to learn what so many don’t know and should know.

I spend a lot of time caring for someone and waiting in the hospital system. So this fills the time well.

Please keep sharing your knowledge.
This forum has been a tremendous help over the years for research and ball park diagnosis being that I'm a carpenter with little mechanical knowledge.
I've only posted the once but have used threads to fix multiple things on my car.
I'm very appreciative of the posters on this forum willingly offering their experience and knowledge.
As I've mentioned this car tows my boat, my trailer and provides transport it has served me very well and I hope that it continues to do so.
Such a throw away society these days that just wanna keep keeping up with the Jones.
It's not my style.
Thankyou all for your help.
Cheers John