Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Fuel Do u use in your car

Where do u get your fuel from

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
C'mon guys, settle down here. He has been banned lets chill out.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
For Brisbninites...

Any 91 or 95 you buy at shell, bp, mobil is refined at pinkenba here is QLD, and is the same regardless of the servo, they do alot of trade swapping north/south to save extra piping across the bar ... that's not to say they're the same fuel, because often companies will add stuff after the fuel is processed...

All 98 octance fuels are made by the servo selling it, Shell bring it up from Vic, BP make it here in QLD (as well as WA), and Caltex bring up all their fuels from NSW...

As for which one, well, BP Ultimate is the control fuel for the lower spec australian rally championship, and unless you have to run it, you don't. I've got a mate who's actually a chemist for BP and co-drives in the QLD championship, and they run Caltex... To me that says something... BP ultimate isn't consistent to tune to, and has already accounted for a holed piston in this championship. For example, BP not long ago over produced 95, so they added an octane booster and sold it as ultimate, where generally their 98 is processed at 98... two different fuels, both sold as ultimate...

The other problem with regular ultimate is that its too high in aromatics... Unless a car is very highly tuned, it can't get the best out of it. Carby cars hate ultimate, as do motorbikes, because its too dense...

Personally, I'd be going Caltex 98 now that its avaliable up here, 96 is great, and for your average car that can't retune itself, will actually run better. You want the highest octance that your car can tune itself to. Running a too higher octance will decrease power as octane actually makes fuel burn slower, and unless you can advance your timing to suit, you're loosing out...

Regular Shell is ok, optimax is rubbish, inspite of what all the v8supercar ads will tell you. Optimax Extreme with its 10% ethanol probably isn't as bad as you'd think. Most modern cars will accept 10% without a problem, and holden even released a white paper saying it didn't have a problem with it. Remember too that holden has great experience with ethanol as they export commodores to mexico where the fuel is 100% ethanol!!! They use copper fuel hoses and few other bits and pieces...

Mobil's good, nothing terribly flash here in QLD cause we dont get the premium range, but they're a good consistent fuel that shouldn't cause any problems..

And as for this "oh, i buy aussie fuel bla bla bla" crap... alot of crude oil comes in from overseas, but 99.9% of it is processed here... the difference is that the ONLY one that keeps the profits here are CALTEX/AMPOL... BP/SHELL/MOBIL are all wholely foriegn owned...

For me in QLD, its Caltex 96/98... Aussie owned, by far the best fuel, and if you're really that anal, 4c a litre off for shopping at woolies... Ever car is different, and depends on what you've done to it... For example, I run both my tarmac and dirt rally cars on Vortex 98, but run my VZ AWD Commodore on Vortex 96 cause it runs better on that...

RebelSS

RebelSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV A6
Fuel

Many are under the mis-understanding that running premiums is the the way to 'go'.

Premium's are designed to proportionally 'quench' the combustion chamber. So, unless you're running high compression or high advance; using premium will not yield any measurable benefit.

Mark

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
My Subaru is running 13:1 consequently I use 104 which I purchase straight from the bowser.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Just a quick question- Is the Caltex Vortex 95 or 98? or are there 2 seperate Vortex's at caltex? I never see any octane rating on the stickers at the pump either. Im just a cheapass coz i work at safeway and get an automatic discount :p

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Depends where you live, not everywhere has vortex 98 yet... normal votex, is 96, and then there's also Vortex 98, in which case it will DEFINATELY say so... Its called "Vortex 98" ;)

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
bp ultimate's served me well so far, car likes it, so do i, and its not 2 expensive

uteman

Ford Rules
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 Ute
I seem to get better mileage out of Optimax

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Based on personal experience

My VT V6 and ZX6r 2003 both run better on BP ultimate

I had an interesting test- got 2 loan cars from the local mechanic- both with 300-400 000 k's so they ran like a bucket. One was an early 90's late 80's mazda 323 hatch 4 banger auto carb, the other- think it was a mitsubishi wagon 4 cyl auto mid 80's

Ran them on reg shell, shell premium then bp ultimate- both vehicles, even though they were carbs, non electronic, (maybe timing in the 323) and buckets of crap that shouldnt be allowed on the road idled and ran better with a definite but slight power increase on BP ultimate.

So hence I am always confused when people say to run a car on the octane rating it was designed for or else you will lose power...any thoughts?

I'm currently also using a locally made fuel additive which, if I forget to put it in my car or bike feel like crap. Just gutless. $10 for 250 litres worth it's great stuff

Radar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I drive past no less than 6 BP service stations on my way to and fro uni, and there are only BP stations on my path, no others. So, I fill up with Ultimate, and since I've been doing it I've been getting great milage, nicer response and sound, and it's running way cleaner, no soot at all on the tailpipe.

I'll stick with BP Ultimate for any car I drive from now on.