Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Fuel Do u use in your car

Where do u get your fuel from

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
One thing I failed to say was that many current model engines have a fairly low compression ratio, usually around 8.5 or less and are made for std ULP others with a higher compression, say 8.7 - 9.5 will show more HP with using higher octane fuels than lower compression engines.

In most cases running high octane fuels will give only small increases on stock low comp engines, sure the spark flame is brighter and a more efficient combustion is the result giving the other benefits of smooth idle / slightly more power.

Using anything between 95 and 100 would show only a further small difference unless with a modified engine, smoother running is a common offshoot of using PULP, both the bike (900 Triumph) and boat (2 X 175 black max mercs) would show a definite power increase, smoother running + much better fuel milage and the added initial price outweighed the long term cost by quite a lot, remember it's using 1/3 less fuel.

BTW after 4 weeks the PULP RON # will drop to way below the normal ULP RON so don't store it, use it.

In realistic terms to go on an average fishing trip to the reef I may use 600lit, at $1.30 for ULP costing $780 but with $1.35-40 for PULP at only $560, a substantial saving of $220 which kinda pays for bait oil and ice, it might well be worth considering doing a comparison in any commodore.

Now with the boat that is somewhat a giant fuel guzzler even at cruising speed, it would actually use 1/3 less fuel for the exact same rpm than using std ULP, including the other benefits, and when your running at full throttle using over ""5 lit / mile"" it gets rather expensive to say the least, but at near 45 knots "near 50 mph" your covering the water at just around 80 sec / mile, so hang on !

Using PULP at cruising speeds of say 22-3 knots it would use just under 2 lit / mile for both engines, the same rpm using std ULP it would burn close to 3 lit / mile and when covering 300 + miles it adds up, BTW those that complain about bad fuel economy or filling up woes, try filling up this sucker with 800 lit onboard in two 400 lit tanks, (a giant bomb)

While I used Shel 115 more than any other fuel it could well be a better option to use the ULP avgas of whatever octane you prefer, simply made for late model injected / usully supercharged airplane engines plus the 115 was a methyl Benzine based fuel and "may" stuff your cataylitic converter, valves etc etc.

Outboard engines could handle it as they are essentially highly modified to start with, and while also a V6 the HP they pump out is way more than any same size 2500 car engine, fuel in = power out.

Just my 2c worth.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Caltex Vortex 98 for the subdue VN SS... or BP Ultimate - Bp is good tho expesive,

I have used boost 98 & unleaded but never again- premo better, regular unleaded the v8 doesn't like it :)

Last edited:

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
I use whatevers cheapest. It dosent matter, because it all comes from the same places anyway, as there are only 2 oil refineries here in Sydney.

On a side note, i got fuel for $1.289 the other day... thats the cheaperst ive seen fuel for years.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Since most BP & Mobil stations don't take shell card, I'm limited to shell. I usually have a ****tail of Optimax, their premium and normal stuff.

Reaper

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
It's best to use a petrol station that sells a lot of fuel and gets regular refills of their underground tanks assuring that what you buy is fresh and having a RON # near to what is advertised.

Filling up your car at a small outlet may get you good driveway service but it also gives you rust / water and anything else in your fuel, not much chop in an injected engine, or any for that.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
yeah i didnt even think of that digisol
Im lucky that the servo i use is one of the busyist in my area, go there at either 8am or 5pm and u have to wait 10 mint o get to the pump because there are so many cars waiting.
good point digisol

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
digisol said:
It's best to use a petrol station that sells a lot of fuel and gets regular refills of their underground tanks assuring that what you buy is fresh and having a RON # near to what is advertised.

Filling up your car at a small outlet may get you good driveway service but it also gives you rust / water and anything else in your fuel, not much chop in an injected engine, or any for that.

most stations wont keep much stock of pulp...usually only 10,000L or so...compared to the 60,000+ of ulp.
and deliveries are as frequent as twice a day sometimes...so an average station isnt goin to be selling "old" fuel...whether its really busy or not. (excluding those tiny 4-pump stations...im talking about a normal, large site)

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
very true good point

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
no votes for ethanol.... hmmmm thats weird lol :)

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
I rack up a lot of 'k's each week so whichever servo is nearest when the car's nearly empty gets my dollars...