Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Tinting tail lights illegal?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Come on guys, we know that there's differing opinions as to tail light tinters being wankers or not, I agree as they are dangerous. Question is though, has it recently been made illegal in QLD? I know it WAS legal to a certain extent, but is it true that it's totally illegal now?

Even if its not specifically illegal, its still effectively illegal. Lights are designed for a certain level of performance to comply with the law, reduce the performance, as tinting always will, and you reduce the performance, making them illegal.

I'd actually like a really dark tint on my taillights, it would suit the car, but it would also mean I'd be getting rear ended twice a year. I hate being behind cars that have dark tinted taillights, I cant see when they are hitting the bloody brakes, so I will never do it to anyone else regardless of the law.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
Tinting tail lights is totally legal, PROVIDED they still meet these standards. Generally speaking though, tinting will guarantee they [dont, so effectively the answer is actually NO.

What if the the tail light wasn't a bulb but LED? Surely then it would meet regulations in both visibility and power use

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
What if the the tail light wasn't a bulb but LED? Surely then it would meet regulations in both visibility and power use

lol.

another thread. ok, ill bite *deep breath*

ADR 13/00 Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 all lights need to pass a luminescence test. its works on a tri-chromatic scale, and also a candle-power brightness. tinting not only changes the colour (hence failing the chomatic scal) but also changes the brightness (hence failing brightness test) so its a fail on two counts. LED lights are illegal anyway, so tinted or not they are an instant fail UNLESS the light has been tested and complies with all ADR's which has never happened for early commo's. newer ones maybe.

further; and the main reason: tinting the tailights mean the rear retro reflectors no longer function. (ADR 47/00 Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 47/00 - Retroreflectors) 2006) they are there for a very good reason. if you are parked on the street late at night and you have no retro reflectors, its only a matter of time before someone doesnt see your car parked there and slams straight into the back of your stationary car.

in which case, it would be YOUR FAULT for having tinted tailights and you would be responsible for the insurance claim.

enough reasons why tinted taillights are gay?

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Not to mention they look like utter shite. They make an otherwise nice looking car appear cheap and tacky. Ghetto mods are ghetto