Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Tinting tail lights illegal?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
OK... So we've managed to establish the fact that most of us hate tinted tail lights. However the question I asked and the ENTIRE reason for this thread is; Has it recently been made illegal for tail light tinting of any kind in Queensland???
I'm just interested to hear of any other Queenslanders that are aware of this 'new law' Or is it bullshit. Regardless of what percentage of light can be seen from certain disances, etc, is it illegal full stop?

As long as it lets out the allowable light then it's fine HOWEVER if a police officer was to notice your lights being slightly darker then factory expect a defect if they see it as defectable.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
OK... So we've managed to establish the fact that most of us hate tinted tail lights. However the question I asked and the ENTIRE reason for this thread is; Has it recently been made illegal for tail light tinting of any kind in Queensland???
I'm just interested to hear of any other Queenslanders that are aware of this 'new law' Or is it bullshit. Regardless of what percentage of light can be seen from certain disances, etc, is it illegal full stop?

From my knowledge it's going to make your brake lights darker and harder to see, which is a defect. So no.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina

I am unaware of any 'new law' as such. Perhaps there has simply been some kind of publicity about cops cracking down on tinted tail lights. They have been illegal since the day any of the ADRs governing tail lights came out, because they change the way the lights perform.

Firstly the ADRs are very specific about light strength, colour spectrum etc so anything that makes them perform differently is illegal. Its possible to add powerful globes to standard lights and make them illegally bright too, because you have changed the performance beyond the rules.

Like it or not, tinting changes their performance and makes them instantly illegal. Not because they are tinted, but because they are no longer meeting ADR parameters.

Also, as ari has already pointed out, regardless of how powerful the globes are, tinting stops the reflectors working properly. The fact that tinting changes the colour, strength and reflectivity of the lights means they wont meet ADRs. A law banning tinted lights is unnecessary, tinting them makes them illegal anyway for that reason.

If a car or aftermarket manufacturer wanted to put in the effort and design a light with tinting included, and the resulting tinted light met all ADRs, it would be legal. Just a point there though.. tail lights need to be within a certain range of red, hmmm red tinting? lol

This is not new, perhaps what you heard is that they were cracking down on something that was already illegal.

Bottom line. Tinting tail lights is illegal, full stop.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
That last post makes sense. Maybe what my son heard was simply to do with cops cracking down on it.
It was the panel beater he was working for that told him about it.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
lol.

LED lights are illegal anyway, so tinted or not they are an instant fail UNLESS the light has been tested and complies with all ADR's which has never happened for early commo's. newer ones maybe.

further; and the main reason: tinting the tailights mean the rear retro reflectors no longer function. (ADR 47/00 Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 47/00 - Retroreflectors) 2006) they are there for a very good reason. if you are parked on the street late at night and you have no retro reflectors, its only a matter of time before someone doesnt see your car parked there and slams straight into the back of your stationary car.

1. Check the sponsors section for LED ADR approved tailights.
2. Retroreflectors don't have to be incorporated into the taillight. So long as they are mounted on the rear of the vehicle in a way that complies with Vehicle standards.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
2. Retroreflectors don't have to be incorporated into the taillight. So long as they are mounted on the rear of the vehicle in a way that complies with Vehicle standards.

1. really? i wasnt aware that anyone went through the testing process, what years do they suit?
2. yeah that is correct, but im pretty sure the retroreflectors on commodores are incorporated into the light, hence the reason i added it. if the owner tints the light, then they are tinting the reflector. i suppose now is a good time to mention that particular this ADR only affects years 2006 and up. however it does reppeal "section 7 of the act" but i totally CBF looking up what that is. lol

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS

I think you will find that most aftermarket taillights are ADR compliant and not actually APPROVED. Basically they meet the required standards but are not tested and passed for legal use on cars in Australia. In other words if Mr. Fuzz or the local RTA really wanted to they could likely hand you a defect.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
im pretty sure the retroreflectors on commodores are incorporated into the light, hence the reason i added it. if the owner tints the light, then they are tinting the reflector. i suppose now is a good time to mention that particular this ADR only affects years 2006 and up.

Yes Commodore did up until the VZ when they moved it to the Rear bumper. This also carried on into the VE series.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you will find that most aftermarket taillights are ADR compliant and not actually APPROVED. Basically they meet the required standards but are not tested and passed for legal use on cars in Australia. In other words if Mr. Fuzz or the local RTA really wanted to they could likely hand you a defect.

Probably something the manufacturer should clear up. LED's are becoming more prevalent on motor vehicles and trailers for the light that they emit and for the low power they use. This can be seen with the use of Amber LED rotating beacons, Truck taillights, trailer taillights, DRL's. Narva has a great selection of LED lights for various applications.