Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think it would be fair to say monstar not everyone here (or many for that fact) shares your interest and understanding of engine dynamics and dollars spent VS efficency/performance gains. The fact is all they want to do is take their pride and joy somewhere where they trust the people working on the car and they can drive away with X amount of claimed KW's, there's nothing wrong with that and its a large market that your Walkinshaw/Harrop/etc groups make alot of money from. Then there's the type that spend upteen hours researching every last detail of each component and its flow on effect before forming an opinion whether to buy it, and you know they are going to install it themselves because they don't trust any two-bit mechanic to do the job right. They do it because they love it, the complexity and detail, but not everyone gets there jollies by studying heat engines in thermodynamics. We're all different but the Walky/Harrop brigade don't need to hear how they're being ripped off, for them its fast, its easy and some would claim its added value. There's no right or wrong, its just what suits. Sure you may be just wanting to offer advice but I think its advice they don't want to hear.
That said, from my point of view best bang for buck mod to a LS3 is the cam and a tune, its all in the cam evidenty. One question, in stop start traffic does a OTR CAI draw in hot air radiated off the radiator causing the thermo's to cycle constantly?
Yes you are right, if someone asks for advice best not tell them the best advice or give it lest they don't want to hear it.
Same with precise information and useful detail, leave that buried and dumb the whole experience down to one or two key words, and a binary proposition - bad or good.
Well sure there's lots here to do that and so be it but that's where I come in Martin, I sure as shit am no brand marketing sycophant and leave the brand out of the conversation most of the time. Like I leave the stickers off my car.
But always happy to educate when asked directly about value, efficiency and performance. I don't provide information (that is not a thread starter) without being asked directly. Point being the world is full of wood ducks and young bulls, honest help without percuniary interest is my gig.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yep. Mate went halves with an LSA crate motor. He grabbed the blower and the other guy the motor

50000ks later no issues

It's in a 14VF HSV wagon that's his work car.
What about the other guy with very low compression engine and a baby cam with less compression duration than power, no definable powerband, is he happy :confused:
Surprised if that would pass emissions, like a kero huffer or an eighties unleaded POS would guzzle fuel and spew forth a good whack of all the carbons it yawned in, a forged V8 with the potency of a heritage farm tool.

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
from my point of view best bang for buck mod to a LS3 is the cam and a tune, its all in the cam evidenty. One question, in stop start traffic does a OTR CAI draw in hot air radiated off the radiator causing the thermo's to cycle constantly?
That's true, but putting a phaser on the cam and VVT timing cover costs only marginally more and allows huge operational variability through greater torque and higher horsepower. So the best bang for buck mod is cam yes, but instead of trying to figure out which static spec is going to suit is ideal to install VVT cam and program performance, driving manners, etc., in the tune. The next BTW is fuel composition sensor.
OTR temps do fluctuate wildly stop start, yes. Like from ambient on the highway through +50°C sitting with air con in sub-tropical summer.
The thing is cold(er) air intake is only ever a benefit when your engine is prone to knock, and which is never on flex fuel BTW.
In other words if you notice your car goes really crap unless it is a cold morning (detuned for knock) an OTR CAI will likely alleviate or at least extend the thermal range by bringing IAT in line with the expected charge temp. There's a slight increase in flow with OTR CAI but the engine does not 'see' that without a tune (VVE). Small gains are evident without tune by keeping engine's IAT within safe thermal knock set by factory.
However stock tune's buffer against knock may be recalibrated safely to take advantage of wider thermal range and air flow with the benefit of more power and wider thermal operation in a more usable powerband.
All that's to say sticking on an OTR that has more volatile, differing intake air temps and predicted charge than stock may produce better results in some conditions but much worse in others. A proper tune will fix that.

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Yes you are right, if someone asks for advice best not tell them the best advice or give it lest they don't want to hear it.
Same with precise information and useful detail, leave that buried and dumb the whole experience down to one or two key words, and a binary proposition - bad or good.
Well sure there's lots here to do that and so be it but that's where I come in Martin, I sure as shit am no brand marketing sycophant and leave the brand out of the conversation most of the time. Like I leave the stickers off my car.
But always happy to educate when asked directly about value, efficiency and performance. I don't provide information (that is not a thread starter) without being asked directly. Point being the world is full of wood ducks and young bulls, honest help without percuniary interest is my gig.
Hi monstar "honest help without percuniary interest is my gig" and keep it coming, personally I'm into the technical details, I suppose I was referring more to comments in relation to being ripped off but that said it is a public forum and anyone can say what they wish irrespective of how its construed. I would delete my previous comment if I knew how:confused:

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
What about the other guy with very low compression engine and a baby cam with less compression duration than power, no definable powerband, is he happy :confused:
Surprised if that would pass emissions, like a kero huffer would drink fuel and spew forth a good whack of the carbons it yawned in, would run much the same as a heritage farm tool. Except at really high RPM.

So you assume it stayed N/A.

Got a big blower and now makes over 800hp at the tyres.

In fact besides my VF no one in my circle of friends has N/A.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
MMmm slow friends then. And that no disrespect to disabled people.

But some of my friends are slow learners and they arnt even disabled.

Who in their right mind drives a 1100rwkw turbo barra as a street car.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
So just got the MSE back following a detail/paint correction, 2 layers of Opticoat+ in addition to rim and interior protection. The lines just pop and light reflects so nicely. Will get better photos in full sun once the tint is done

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So the Opticoat seals the stickers to the paint as well, i.e. they can lift or be removed ?