Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Collapsed lifter

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
Need advice my car a ve ss sports wagon broke down it was towed to a repco service center they checked the car and informed me lifter 1 had collapsed and would cost $2380 to repair i gave the go ahead to do the work they then told me the standard oil pump was **** (not broken ) and I should get a high flow oil pump which I agreed to quote was $300 for the new pump , I picked the car up after all the repairs was done and went for a drive ( not even 1 km for the shop )
And the car was blowing smoke at higher revs , at start up and when idling but is running great I returned the car they told me a few days later that the car was not handling the new high flow pump and I would have to put the old pump back in at a cost of $366 I agreed , when I picked the car back up it was still blowing smoke I was told to keep a eye on it , I refused to take the car as it was still smoking a few days later they ask me to come in and they showed me oil pooling in the manifold
And it seemed to be starched in side as will there is also psi down by 20 psi in cyc 7 and spark plug 7 was very black they have told me I need a whole rebuild at a price of $6500 would anyone have any advice for me .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Need advice my car a ve ss sports wagon broke down it was towed to a repco service center they checked the car and informed me lifter 1 had collapsed and would cost $2380 to repair i gave the go ahead to do the work they then told me the standard oil pump was **** (not broken ) and I should get a high flow oil pump which I agreed to quote was $300 for the new pump , I picked the car up after all the repairs was done and went for a drive ( not even 1 km for the shop )
And the car was blowing smoke at higher revs , at start up and when idling but is running great I returned the car they told me a few days later that the car was not handling the new high flow pump and I would have to put the old pump back in at a cost of $366 I agreed , when I picked the car back up it was still blowing smoke I was told to keep a eye on it , I refused to take the car as it was still smoking a few days later they ask me to come in and they showed me oil pooling in the manifold
And it seemed to be starched in side as will there is also psi down by 20 psi in cyc 7 and spark plug 7 was very black they have told me I need a whole rebuild at a price of $6500 would anyone have any advice for me .
What year is your VE SS?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Need advice my car a ve ss sports wagon broke down it was towed to a repco service center they checked the car and informed me lifter 1 had collapsed and would cost $2380 to repair
How many km BTW?

Collapsed lifter means heads off, replace whole AFM lifter set but all should be replaced (~$1200 parts), possibly chewed camshaft (~$500) and further inspection to ensure any bits not strewn throughout. Holden says 10 hours, to cover the unknown (full engine inspection) possibly quote 16 hours = $2250 in labour. To give you an idea, I got a quote from Zupps Aspley last week for $5600 minimum before camshaft to do same - twice what you were quoted.
GM Bulletin says to replace all lifters, likely camshaft, plastic guides as a minimum but depends on how long engine is operated with smashed bits going everywhere.

i gave the go ahead to do the work they then told me the standard oil pump was **** (not broken ) and I should get a high flow oil pump which I agreed to quote was $300 for the new pump , I picked the car up after all the repairs was done and went for a drive ( not even 1 km for the shop )

The cost to replace the oil pump is very cheap, like cost price on part nothing for labour. But the oil pump is a red herring, likely has been driven with a collapsed lifter. Which killed the engine.
Another way of evaluating value of what they are charging is that this is nearly exactly same procedure to swap camshaft on AFM car, which includes remove or replace AFM and STD replace lifters.

And the car was blowing smoke at higher revs , at start up and when idling but is running great I returned the car they told me a few days later that the car was not handling the new high flow pump and I would have to put the old pump back in at a cost of $366 I agreed,

Again bloody cheap bill to go all the way back in there and swap oil pumps, I don't know what the story is there? L77 has high volume oil pump as standard, never ever an issue reported here or elsewhere in the past seven years.

when I picked the car back up it was still blowing smoke I was told to keep a eye on it , I refused to take the car as it was still smoking a few days later they ask me to come in and they showed me oil pooling in the manifold.

I doubt they swapped pumps, just saying.
The oil in the manifold indicates nothing more than excess oil out of the PCV on the passenger side rocker cover. It certainly does not indicate a specific mechanical failure.

Well I don't think it is rooted yet, firstly I'd isolate the reason why oil is piddling out the rocker PCV pipe into the inlet pipe. With that out the way you can evaluate whether the chewed lifter / cam bits have damaged the engine.

Take a pic of the engine bay because it may be as simple as incorrect PCV routing.

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
They told me they had dropped the price as they are the ones who told me to do the oil pump so I didn't pay for Labour and the lifters they didn't know the car was AFM ( thay had the car and it clearly says it on the back ) so they quoted wrong they now are asking for $4790 for the lifters job plus the price for a whole rebuild I have the report if anyone would like to read it

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
To be clear you have the car, paid for repairs as quoted, it is blowing smoke.
Now the repair shop thinks the engine has failed and suggests an answer is for you to pay them to install a replacement.
Plus they also want some money back on the job they misdiagnosed and repair failed.

If I have this right, disregard the demand for any additional payment.
The priority is to establish that the operating issue is more than just oil getting into the intake past the throttle body. FYI the late 2010 L77 had a recall to stop excess oil entering the intake, was a different type of air / oil separator integrated into the passenger rocker cover. This is about $150, any mechanic can fit that.