Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Collapsed lifter

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
To be clear you have the car, paid for repairs as quoted, it is blowing smoke.
Now the repair shop thinks the engine has failed and suggests an answer is for you to pay them to install a replacement.
Plus they also want some money back on the job they misdiagnosed and repair failed.

If I have this right, disregard the demand for any additional payment.
The priority is to establish that the operating issue is more than just oil getting into the intake past the throttle body. FYI the late 2010 L77 had a recall to stop excess oil entering the intake, was a different type of air / oil separator integrated into the passenger rocker cover. This is about $150, any mechanic can fit that.

I don't have the car they still have it as I don't want to take it while it is blowing smoke but all the rest is right I have asked them why is the car blowing smoke they just said it now needs a rebuild they also said it would take some time to do as they have never rebuilt my kind of engine before I have no idea what to do

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd be looking for a 2nd opinion.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So first check the PCV
I don't have the car they still have it as I don't want to take it while it is blowing smoke but all the rest is right I have asked them why is the car blowing smoke they just said it now needs a rebuild they also said it would take some time to do as they have never rebuilt my kind of engine before I have no idea what to do
OK just because rear cylinder(s) are low on compression doesn't mean should throw away money to overhaul the lot, necessarily.
FIRST level with the manager and agree to more time to let the engine settle (less smoke). Take the car, no threats or conditions. If the service manager refuses to release the vehicle (unless further payment) then there are steps to take, but I think it is not unreasonable to let the car go and draw a line under it from what you've said.
THEN to diagnose the smoking problem or other symptoms is pretty straightforward if you have a camera phone, as is simply lifting that motor and replacing it if need be.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like great advice to me :)

Roxanne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Holden sports wagon as
So first check the PCV

OK just because rear cylinder(s) are low on compression doesn't mean should throw away money to overhaul the lot, necessarily.
FIRST level with the manager and agree to more time to let the engine settle (less smoke). Take the car, no threats or conditions. If the service manager refuses to release the vehicle (unless further payment) then there are steps to take, but I think it is not unreasonable to let the car go and draw a line under it from what you've said.
THEN to diagnose the smoking problem or other symptoms is pretty straightforward if you have a camera phone, as is simply lifting that motor and replacing it if need be.

Thank you so much

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Of course you can take your own road @Roxanne but I reckon there's actually no point in complaining while the shop has the car, accept the car as-is, make further enquiries for steps to remedy once back in possession.
Don't escalate it further by sending in / paying an expert to second-guess workshop recommendations whilst shop has it is not ideal. It is in shop's interest to demonstrate the case that the engine is currently near entirely broken... right?
As above if the shop demands further payment that is truly unreasonable before releasing that's when you need consumer advice to release possession immediately. There are provisions under consumer law for all of this like immediate return of the vehicle without much argument.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If I were you I'd be getting my car the hell out of that place and going somewhere else, they sound dodgy as to me.... Didn't know the car was afm and now trying to charge u extra o_O seriously wtf?!?

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I definitely would not be letting them rebuild your engine