Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can the Cam?

43lr155

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV redline
Drives like factory. Cannot tell the car has cam and mods until you put the foot down.

W375, Cam 222 228 116 - 585/591 lift, Higgins heads, double springs, pushrods, LS7 chain, 25% under driven balancer, Vmax 90mm throttle body.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Drives like factory. Cannot tell the car has cam and mods until you put the foot down.

W375, Cam 222 228 116 - 585/591 lift, Higgins heads, double springs, pushrods, LS7 chain, 25% under driven balancer, Vmax 90mm throttle body.
What does walkinshaw charge for that?
7k apparently for the CAI, DPE full exhaust and tune.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Back in Jan 2018, I installed the followings to my VF2 redline ute:
- VCM 523 cam which came with HD valve springs, APR crank/cam bolts, oil pump.
- X force full exhaust with 1 7/8 header, duel 3" system with Varex rear mufflers.
- VCM OTR kit with infill panels.

After one year driving
- Midrange acceleration.

Dislikes:
- Not so smooth idling.
- Not so smooth gear changes.
- Engine stalled occasionally at cold start.
- Tunned many times to get it right.

Personal Conclusions:
- 2.5" exhaust system probably better.
- Probably shouldn't have installed the cam.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Thanks for the input. If your talking 532/old 21, the last line of your post will have 426Cuda running scared. They're as small as aftermarket come. And really popular. Not having a go, but is it possible that every retune you had to get it right, got it wrong?

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks for the input. If your talking 532/old 21, the last line of your post will have 426Cuda running scared. There as small as aftermarket come. And really popular. Not having a go, but is it possible that every retune you had to get it right, got it wrong?
Agreed, if its still stalling thats definitely a tune issue. Better off seeing a different tuner. That's a good cam for a stock engine and should give great street manners. You definitely shouldn't have any regrets at all with that one!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I genuinely feel bad for you that the "can't go wrong" 532 is going wrong!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've had quite big cams in old school V8's, Holden and Chrysler. I really like the feel of a cam "coming on". I always loved how I could alter the idle, lump and performance of my 360ci Mopar, due to a highly tunable Chrysler performance parts electronic dissy I fitted, and adjustable rockers. That, and the double pumper Holley 4bbl. What a sweet engine and worked so well with the 4spd manual. Lumpy as, but ran like clockwork, with huge torque all over the tacho. Even a few quite aggressive Sig Erson cams I fitted to 253's and 308's with stock distributor and Rochester or Holley 4bbl's worked well with trimatics and TH400's. Conversely my brothers 4spd HX had a Sig Erson TQ30 (reasonably mild), with all else stock, apart from the exhaust. With a 3.08:1 diff ratio, it was a bit of a pig to drive. No torque down low. So lots of riding the clutch and getting dusted by much slower cars off the line. There's a lot in the tune for sure.
Anyway, I'm being cautious because I just don't want to fu$k up the already awesome package in my Motorsport. I also don't want to necessarily throw $2-4k at a small cam, for minimal increase over just headers, cats and tune. Nor do I want to add a stally. So, I'm starting to lean back towards a two stage approach: initially just headers, hi-flow cats, CAI and a tune, I'm afraid. Then wait until I've had a chance to drive a cammed VF2 auto with no stally, before I take the plunge on a cam.
As an aside, does anyone know the specs on the W407 cam?