Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil replacement

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Just use the genuine oil - 2x 1l bottles and youll have plenty left over for next time

Won’t need to worry about correct viscosity, additives etc

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
2.3 is in the LSA diffs

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I went to my local dealer spare parts and asked for some diff oil and was told there is none in aus and unsure when someone would be back in stock.
Then was told to use ATF instead.
Ended up getting penrite oil to change trans and diff oils.

On a side note I didn’t like the penrite oil in the gearbox (manual) it made 1st-2nd gears really hard when the car was cold and only marginally better when the gearbox was hot so dropped out the trans oil after about 2000kms and put in some penrite ATF and beautiful and smooth again.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob wont find any genuine diff oil readily available because holden has made the diff oil "sealed for life" so its not part of any service requirement

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi there,
so what is the norm time between Diff Oil Changes, as a lot of people have different ideas, I don't think the Dealers I have been dealing with over the years, has ever said the Diff Oil need changing.
They just say they topped it up.
One would think if it needs topping, it's leaking out, that what one would assume !

Last edited:

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
HSV has 2 year intervals in the service book for the LSA diff, so you would think that the V8 Holden would have to have some sort of intervals.This was mine after 18k lots of shimmering metal suspended in the oil.

upload_2019-1-14_15-3-16.png

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
prob wont find any genuine diff oil readily available because holden has made the diff oil "sealed for life" so its not part of any service requirement
What year did Holden decide "sealed for life" diff oils were a great idea? What was the diff oil change interval prior to this?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
What year did Holden decide "sealed for life" diff oils were a great idea? What was the diff oil change interval prior to this?
i noticed it with the VE diff not sure about earlier, they are ment to have a special additive that lasts for the life of it, i doubt many even change the diff oil its probably the least changed oil in the vehicle but cops most of the load

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
HSV has 2 year intervals in the service book for the LSA diff, so you would think that the V8 Holden would have to have some sort of intervals.This was mine after 18k lots of shimmering metal suspended in the oil.

View attachment 203111

I thought it was a painted picture on the diff, I thought to myself, nice abstract o_O,
then thought again, :rolleyes: why would you want to paint a diff. :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
i noticed it with the VE diff not sure about earlier, they are ment to have a special additive that lasts for the life of it the warranty
TFIFY.

Jokes aside, thanks for the heads up.
I doubt many even change the diff oil its probably the least changed oil in the vehicle but cops most of the load
True but how many put up with whining diffs not realising that (as others have said) a better oiled may resolve such?

Me I’d like to know what this special sauce is that GM put into their diff oils and whether I can simply use a normal LSD oil and replace it every 50,000 or so kms?