Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil replacement

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i just use what i mentioned earlier and replace ever 12 months or couple years depending how much car was driven, also with DPE 3" its hard to get to the filler on the side of diff so the "could be bothered" has a say also

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
HSV has 2 year intervals in the service book for the LSA diff............View attachment 203111

Interestingly, the service book for my GenF2 GTS has a maintenance schedule that shows final drive oil to be changed at 36 months/60k kms intervals. I changed mine with Penrite Pro Gear 75W90 (LSA recommendation) at 10k kms for the same reason that you changed yours.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Same as what i used, mine seemed quieter after the change aswell

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Did this over the weekend. Replaced with Penrite Pro gear 75w90, Holden recommendation is Pro gear 75w85 GL-5. However this is for fuel economy and the 75w90 is better for performance (Is rated to cover Gl-5 and Gl-6) and track use without going to a 80w140 which would be all track use.

Standard fluid was pretty bad so will be changing every 50k kms as its a cheap change. Highly recommend changing not sticking to Holden sealed for life, as said before HSV recommend every 60k km.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Instead of starting a new thread I will use this existing one
Any more update about changing your diff oil in the VE or the VF mainly the VE. I have been reading as you need a 8MM Allen key and pipe to unlock/remove the plug so you can drain and replace the 1.3 Ltr oil.
Anything to look for when doing this as I want to change the OIL on my Cheap VE V6 and after this its rego time.
Thanks

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Haven’t read this thread in a while so can’t remember what has already been said, but my hint is always remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

Nothing worse than no diff oil and a stuck fill plug you can’t remove o_O

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haven’t read this thread in a while so can’t remember what has already been said, but my hint is always remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

Nothing worse than no diff oil and a stuck fill plug you can’t remove o_O

This is very good point!

OOOOOOH yeah I can imagine this happening to me, Drain the oil via the bottom plug then you cant get the top plug off so you are stuffed. NO I dont want to take the diff out and tip it upside down to fill it with oil.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition