Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Is it because the advert gurus hired to do the TV and paper publicity don't have a clue ?
Or is it because people like Harry Scrubby object to any car advert which shows the vehicle going 'fast', or being portrayed as being 'powafull'.
VW Amorok and Ford Raptor ads were banned. An old Commodore ad was banned because the car was travelling at a fast 60kmh on an open road with a kid in the back. Don't forget the 'bloody caravanners' Colorado ad. Every current ad seems to spruik how the car will stop automatically if a inattentive pedestrian steps in front of it, or how it can park itself.
No wonder we get dumbed down, or no adverts. Maybe it is just not worth the time and expense.
Yes, oh for the good ol days...remember the VY (IIRC, in the green similar to the more recent jungle fever colour) ad ...Dad driving up the driveway & mimicking a slalom course, admittedly at low speed, by swerving around the toddler’s plastic bike. I think it was the beginnings of traction control or similar, possibly around the time of the Acclaim which was the designated ‘safety’ model.

My how things have changed, if you wanted safety you bought the Acclaim otherwise you settled for the Executive (or whatever it was called) or an S pack or SS ..obviously you were less fussed about keeping the family safe if you didn’t buy the Acclaim, lol.

Anyway back to that ad...even then I was a bit surprised it got to air as the climate in vehicle advertising was changing...it lasted for a month or two before it got pulled.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep, you are correct here, however these brands improved with each generation/model. The ZB has a finite life span and I don't see Holden/GM doing much to upgrade it during it's remaining life cycle.

They probably won't upgrade the ZB in it's life cycle....They might go a different direction to help claw back some of the market....We will have to wait and see

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They tried, remember Daewoo another up and coming Korean company.............then GM got involved and we all know how that's turned out.

The common denominator here is .......wait for it......GM, They simply don't have a clue and never seem to learn from their mistakes and we all know what to call people who keep on making the same mistakes over and over again don't we ?

So, they got involved with these companies and it went up the crapper, back in the 90's from memory.....Now do we look what GM produced in this country and how it turned out? From memory it was some commodores, which some people on here absolutely enjoy....Yeah, they have some faults, but people still enjoy them.

Only time will tell whether GM get back lost ground, or whether they sink....And yes it depends on the people running the company listening to the consumer

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Considering GM sold Opel doesn't kinda limit the life span of the ZB?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Considering GM sold Opel doesn't kinda limit the life span of the ZB?
Well, PSA already considers the Opel models to be a by-product of the purchase of the company, which compete with their own models. A five year life-span wouldn't be out of the question, given that six years is pretty much a normal life cycle for each new model. You can bet the GM bean-counters will already be looking for the next car from the GM stable, but it would be more a case of having an option IF the market sector and thereby, Commodore sales, improve in the interim. I'd also be prepared to bet that, if there is a replacement, it will come from GM China.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Well, PSA already considers the Opel models to be a by-product of the purchase of the company, which compete with their own models. A five year life-span wouldn't be out of the question, given that six years is pretty much a normal life cycle for each new model. You can bet the GM bean-counters will already be looking for the next car from the GM stable, but it would be more a case of having an option IF the market sector and thereby, Commodore sales, improve in the interim. I'd also be prepared to bet that, if there is a replacement, it will come from GM China.
And they can stick that where the sun don’t shine along with the zb garbage

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Com'on now boys, Great Wall of China motors make some great products.... :)

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Com'on now boys, Great Wall of China motors make some great products.... :)
Their gadgets are up to current market standard, unless you would prefer to survive a collision.....then drive something else.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would only drive a mans car, the ZB screams old man or gay to me, Great Wall NFI who would be seen in one of those....