Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadside Assist?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... To be fair, ACL works on what the normal buyer would expect, and I think you're the only person with such high expectations. ::D
As I stated, ACL is based what a reasonable consumer would expect.

What a reasonable consumer would expect isn’t defined by the seller, it’s an expectation formed through a consumers experiance with similar products they've bought and in part relates to how the product sits price wise within the market place. What is reasonable is also somewhat subjective and something that ultimately a judge must decide if some consensus can’t be reached with the seller. What‘s reasonable is also a moving target as expectations change over time, hopefully for the better :)

Given that some forum members owning VF’s have stated on other threads that they're still on their original battery, and others are just now replacing their batteries (VF released 2013?), I’d say it is reasonable for a consumer to expect a battery to last more than a manufacturers 2 or 3 year warranty, especially with the smart charging system employed within our VF’s that go through desulphation charge phase. Well, I think it‘s a reasonable expectation in such circumstances :)

However, if we start to spruik the manufactures view of ACL, being that staturory warranty duration = manufacturers warranty duration, such won’t end so well for us consumers. We shouldn’t feel the need to help manufacturers change our own expectations for the worst. Their industry bodies do enough lobbying of government hoping to hamstring ACL as it’s written today. Heck it may/could/probably be hidden in some privacy amendment being spruiked by ACCC now (regulatory capture and such) :mad:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Given that some forum members owning VF’s have stated on other threads that they're still on their original battery, and others are just now replacing their batteries (VF released 2013?), I’d say it is reasonable for a consumer to expect a battery to last more than a manufacturers 2 or 3 year warranty, especially with the smart charging system employed within our VF’s that go through desulphation charge phase.
So are you claiming that you're not reasonable? :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I don't think there's any Roadside Assistance product available in Oz that's not on the vehicle itself.

I think there actually is.

Member cover
If you want to know you'll be helped no matter what car you're in, consider roadside with member cover. This is perfect if you travel in different cars and want extra protection. This high-quality protection is available with Ultra Care and RACQ Ultimate cover.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Surely if its serviced by the dealer it shouldn't stop on the side of the road?
At a guess Id say you could count on one hand the amount of vf's that have been serviced regularly and broken down on the side of the road.
Do they charge you if you ring them if you lose the key?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Flat batteries, keys/children/pets locked in car and flat tyres are probably the most common calls for roadside assistance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
So are you claiming that you're not reasonable? :)
I haven’t said that so I think you’re being tongue in cheek with that question :eek:

To be clear, I believe I’m reasonable in my expectations given my experiences ;) And I feel that anyone who accepts the ACL statutory warranty period is somehow limited to a timeframe defined by a manufacturer (via their voluntary factory warranty duration) simply doesn’t want to understand law and is likely pushing a business friendly view of the marketplace and of people’s reasonable expectations. But I thought you’re not in that class so I’m confused by your what you are saying o_O

In any case, we’ve migrated well away from roadside assistance issues to ACL issues. As is, people are free to buy roadside assistance products and extended warranties as much as they want... such products aren’t for me :cool: To date, ACL has served me well on almost all issues I’ve had ;)

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
In answer to the latter, "well der"; but in answer to the former ... we don't really have a national organisation like that, I don't think we ever properly did, so I'm not sure how relevant the comparison is. There is an AAA, but it's more like the sort of organisation you might join to go & take High Tea in the CBD with a number of others who are also wearing top-hats & monacles ... the only contact I've ever had with them is getting an international driver's license (which was actually issued to me by NRMA; yet had the AAA logo on it).

All the "actual" motorist organisations are & have-been at state level (eg. NRMA, RACV, RACQ), and they all started their own insurance companies about forever ago (1925 for NRMA, 1903 for RACV).
Yes, history can be interesting and educational.
(NZ) Automobile Association: an incorporated society initiated in 1903 to provide assistance, services, and free advice to motorists. Operating under the same structure today.

(UK) The Automobile Association: a charitable association founded in 1905 to assist motorists in avoiding police speed traps and the ensuing fines, endorsements, and the possibility of jail. Demutalised, Limited Co. 1999, PLC 2014.

Australian Automobile Association: established 1924 as an umbrella organisation for state motoring clubs (most of whom received their Royal Charters between 1916-28), although it is also listed by Bloomberg as founded in 1976 for Consumer Discretionary Services .
Here's a gem: In 1926 the AAA sought authority to administer motor sport in Australia and this was subsequently obtained via the Royal Automobile Club (UK). The association relinquished this authority to the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS), formed in 1953.

The reasons for the Australian motoring clubs themselves are almost as interesting as those for the UK automobile Association.

(RACA) Royal Automobile Club of Australia, 1903: to foster motoring and assist motorists.
(RACV) Automobile Club of Victoria, 1903: a social organisation and club ... and to maintain a club to be devoted to the interests and advancement of automobilism.
(RAA, RAASA) Automobile and Motor Cycling Club, 1903: a social motoring club, for weekend drives and establishing motorsports.
(RACQ) Automobile Club of Queensland, 1905: 10/18 founder members were doctors whose belief that "autos" could be a reliable means for visiting patients was used to leverage a more positive image of cars in the public consciousness.
(RACWA) Automobile Club of WA, 1905: starts signposting roads and creating maps of the state for motorists.
(NRMA) National Roads and Motorists' Association, 1920: to obtain "reasonable and just legislation" to fund and improve roads (not to provide road service or insurance).

My incorrect assumption that Australian AA was associated with, or similar to, The UK and NZ Automobile Associations was probably due to seeing many of their logos & badges which are quite blatantly a plagiarised design.

AA_logos.jpg
AA_badges.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was using a battery as an example....I still say, having a battery fail after it's warranty has expired, you wouldn't have much hope of a free ride to a dealership, no matter how much of a stink you threw up with any organisation.

There would be other items with a car, that can cause it not to get you from a to b that aren't covered by a warranty....They would be classed as a consumable item and the ACL wouldn't look twice at entertaining any sort of claim on anyones behalf against a manufacturer.

If a part fails within the manufacturers warranty period, ie lets say a crank sensor.....Yes, by all means you should be entitled to a tow....Or if your car has had some sort of work done and that was done poorly, causing a break down...Yes by all means you are entitled to a free tow for repairs to be carried out.....But for items that are out of any sort of manufacturers warranty....
Nada
My car is still under factory warranty so I don’t expect any issues would arise and leave me stranded by the side of the road. But if such an issue did occur, I’d call HCC and if my LE has roadside assistance as has been suggested here, then Holden will sort it out without arguments. If not I’ll have the needed discussions with HCC and my dealer and with respect I won’t be taking your pro business view of ACL into account.

As for consumables, even these products are covered by ACL and as a result the must be “fit for purpose“. If a failure occurs and is unrelated to the consumption side of the equation, the failure is the sellers responsibility to resolve. If a 100,000km spark plug fails after 20,000 kms, I’d expect the dealer that serviced the car and replaced these plugs to sort out the fault. If a brake pad compound delaminates and tore the caliper to bits, I’d expect the seller to resolve that issue as well. A product being a consumable doesn’t absolve the seller from their ACL obligations.

So I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on ACL issues....