Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadside Assist?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
A flat battery and then getting towed somewhere is the biggest over reach I have ever heard when applying the ACL to fit for purpose arguments - especially if a battery has lasted at least half the warranty of the vehicle, batteries always have shorter warranty due to the potential for people to abuse them - this is just a fact.

You will remember Apple recently had a battery replacement program that was specifically as they did something sketchy and slowed devices without telling consumers, not because people expected them to last well beyond their expected usable life, and the getting a tow part is laughable.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Surely if its serviced by the dealer it shouldn't stop on the side of the road?
If it's only serviced by a dealer, it's more likely to stop by the side of the road! :)

I think there actually is.
Yeah, my mistake ... in my head I'd changed that to "NSW", being mindful of the fact that how'm I going to know what's available interstate?
But now I've seen that, I'd maybe better double-check what's on offer in NSW too!

I haven’t said that so I think you’re being tongue in cheek with that question :eek:
I'd hoped it was fairly-obviously being tongue-in-cheek. :)
But as with any light-hearted ribbing, I do think there's some truth in it as well ... I don't think that most car drivers would expect the battery to last the length of the warranty.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A
You will remember Apple recently had a battery replacement program that was specifically as they did something sketchy and slowed devices without telling consumers, not because people expected them to last well beyond their expected usable life, and the getting a tow part is laughable.
Apple is notorious for ignoring laws...

French competition authority (DGCCRF) fined them €1.1B for collusion with wholesalers to control French market prices... then also fined them $€25M for a software update that slowed down old phones. Italy fined them €5M for slowing down phones and another €5M for not telling customers that batteries degrade (Apple reduced cost of battery replacement program as a result). Years earlier the Italians fine Apple €900K for misleading consumers about their legal right to 2 years warranty under law instead of the 1 year support Apple was offering. This warranty thing was played out in many EU member states...

But Apple are rich arsehats with almost unlimited funds so ignore laws around the world. They consider the small (for them) fines pocket change and likely the cost of doing business. Their behaviour has little to do with battery issues and much to do with market control, designed obsolescence, psychological customer manipulation to making people feel like they are missing out in “cool” stuff, oh, and not paying taxes...

Not a fan of Apple....
A flat battery and then getting towed somewhere is the biggest over reach I have ever heard when applying the ACL to fit for purpose arguments - especially if a battery has lasted at least half the warranty of the vehicle, batteries always have shorter warranty due to the potential for people to abuse them - this is just a fact.
I never mentioned a simple flat battery would result in a free tow...

I mentioned if my car breaks down I’d expect Holden will resolve the issue under warranty as would be expected with a new car.. I‘d expect that they’d diagnose it in a professional manner and identify the fault as warranty related if that’s the case. As a consequence, if the car needed to be towed to the dealer, they must cover the incidental costs as a result. Holden can call it whatever they like (usually goodwill cause they want to deny ACL’s existence as much as possible, like all businesses).

The difficulty is the trust many must place in their dealer that they’d be professional enough to identify the issue for what it is (warranty). But knowing how dealers have behaved with some members on this forum w.r.t. injector, eps and other issues, one needs their eyes wide open whenever dealing with this mob :rolleyes:

As to fit for purpose, it if you bought a product after telling the seller how you were going to use the product and then it failed when used in that way... by definition such is a fit for purpose issue whether you consider it over reach or not ;)

But vc commodore brought up the battery as an example... with an acceptance of the view that ACL statutory warranty duration = battery manufacturers warranty duration. That simply isn’t the case in law as statutory warranty duration is not explicitly specified in the text of the legislation. Duration comes down to what is reasonable expectation which ultimately comes down to what can be negotiated with the dealer, else it comes down to what an arbitrator or judge decides on a case by case basis...

Obviously if an owner hasn’t altered the electrical system so the VF BCM? shuts down electrical loads as it is designed to do, AND the battery is well maintained, it should last much much longer than the one year that Holden manufacturers warranty provides... One owner shouldn’t be punished because other owners neglects their vehicles... Battery negligence is easily identifiable.

Again, for many members on these threads their battery has lasted 6 years so it’s not an unreasonable expectation that batteries in out VFs will last that long... In that context, why should a consumer accept that a well looked after battery/vehicle that dies after 1, 2, 3 or so years isn’t because of some unknown battery manufacture fault or a fault with the vehicle charging system itself AND that should be covered by ACL? Batteries can be opened up and manufacturing defects can be identify so it ain’t rocket science...

Interestingly there have been a few on this forum that had issues and their dealer replaced the battery as a fix only for the owner to find the issue hasn’t been resolved... In my view, performing diagnostics via part replacement strategy at owners expense isn't providing a service with due care and skill as ACL requires service be provided. Yet many vehicle owners simple bends over and takes it. That’s not me :p

If my in warranty vehicle breaks down, I’d be looking to HCC and the dealer to resolve all issues and bear all costs. Others are always free to pursue things as they see fit; overreach, underreach, whatever :eek::p

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I don't think that most car drivers would expect the battery to last the length of the warranty.
I would! And the motor, tranny, fuel injectors, timing chains, lifters, electric power steering pumps and lot of other parts.
When you buy a Holden, they don't seem to last. :mad:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd hoped it was fairly-obviously being tongue-in-cheek. :)
But as with any light-hearted ribbing, I do think there's some truth in it as well ... I don't think that most car drivers would expect the battery to last the length of the warranty.
Been in an odd frame of mind so didn’t pick up on the ribbing :cool:

As I’ve said, many see 6 years from their OEM battery and for some they are still going strong. So why would anyone accept a one year manufacturers warranty as the be all and end all of their statutory warranty rights is beyond my comprehension. I know I sure as hell wouldn’t ;) especially after my discussion with the sales guy before signing on the dotted line :eek:

Sadly, some VF owners have paid for injector issues to be fixed, some have paid for rack repairs... It’s a common problem that lack of technical knowledge and ACL results in people paying more than they should... Its not a new phenomenon as I remember back in VH days there was an issue with leaves getting into the HVAC fan which was fixed by a plenum screen yet people who had in service issues paid varied amounts to fix it, from free (goodwill) to near a $1000 (big $$ back them) if memory serves me correctly...

Sometimes it seems many car drivers are resigned to being shafted and seem to want to argue away their ACL rights o_O

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would! And the motor, tranny, fuel injectors, timing chains, lifters, electric power steering pumps and lot of other parts.
When you buy a Holden, they don't seem to last. :mad:

there's a very good reason the warranty on a battery in a phone or a laptop is shorter than the life of the device.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
there's a very good reason the warranty on a battery in a phone or a laptop is shorter than the life of the device.
Who said anything about a phone or laptop?
I thought we were talking about cars?
It is a car forum (Just Commodores), after all. :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who said anything about a phone or laptop?
I thought we were talking about cars?
It is a car forum (Just Commodores), after all. :)

we are talking about BATTERIES.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'am quoting what you typed.
And what are those reasons?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As I’ve said, many see 6 years from their OEM battery and for some they are still going strong. So why would anyone accept a one year manufacturers warranty as the be all and end all of their statutory warranty rights is beyond my comprehension.
Because the battery manufacturer has absolutely no way of knowing whether my car is parked in a nice warm garage in a warmer part of Sydney with a trickle-charger on it, or if it gets parked overnight outside in Penrith or somewhere else near the foot of the Blue Mountains & driven once a fortnight.
Most people have seen batteries lasting a few years so they accept that as normal, and in their experience, the battery lasting longer is lucky.

Reactions: Lex