Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dim low beam headlights - are driving lights/daytime running lights a solution? Is there a solution?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Everyone is grossly over reacting bout LEDs. Quality has come a long way. I’ve never been disappointed and driving toward and in front of my car with them is not distracting in any way compared to regular headlights.

You need to buy quality and the LED needs to be orientated in the exact same place as the halogen filament. When that is done, the product is well made, the light throw is more focused where it should be rather than like that of the halogen. I find it better.

Yeah there’s crap but let’s not use experiences or hearsay from 10years ago mean we don’t use them.

I have to travel dark bushland early mornings and sounds like @RiffRaffMama does something similar as well. Halogens are straight out scary. Like having dolphin torches and lots of the light doesn’t go on the road.

Far safer on rural roads.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
For the past 20 years?, I have been using these shuroos.....

View attachment 256430
I have actually seen roos stick their heads up in paddocks when I come through....Never have I had the pleasure (or mispleasure) or having one stand in front of me.

Other animals....Haven't had any of them in front of me either, so either they work or I have been extremely lucky...

My VC has 2 X130W spot lights, 1 X42 light light bar hanging off the front, so if the lights do confuse them into running in front of me, it's either I have been extremely lucky or the combination of the shuroos and/or the lights not effecting them....

Either way, I'll take it as a win in my books and hope the OP finds a solution for the lack of lighting they are having....
The proper Shuroo is electronic. The stick on ones are pretend.
I’ve used Shuroo for I don’t know how long and love them.

That’s not to say the stick on ones are BS. The electronic ones are the real deal.

Experience certainly shows that making your vehicle sound different to the regular ones gets their attention and they are more cautious. Also we need to be cautious.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Issue is likely the reflectors. LED's in stock reflectors will be worse than cheap plus 30 halogen.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Which is exactly why I linked the VX projector headlamps.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
With all due respect, go to an optometrist for an eye check.
You may need glasses for driving and particularly night driving.
Thanks for your concern, but there's nothing wrong with my eyesight, I know because I had a test for work 6 months ago. Here's what I am up against. I have to drive through 25km of this, just to get to the closest supermarket. And these photos were taken during the day. There is not a single street light until you are in either town (origin/destination).
Clearly, I'm not driving though suburbia here.
Home to town.jpg

I'd go take you a photo on low beams now, because it's night time, but all you'd see is something like this:
trees2.jpg

(not 100% accurate - you wouldn't be able to see the roos yet because they'd still be hiding in the scrub, stalking you.)

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 256430
I have actually seen roos stick their heads up in paddocks when I come through....Never have I had the pleasure (or mispleasure) or having one stand in front of me.

Other animals....Haven't had any of them in front of me either, so either they work or I have been extremely lucky...

My VC has 2 X130W spot lights, 1 X42 light light bar hanging off the front, so if the lights do confuse them into running in front of me, it's either I have been extremely lucky or the combination of the shuroos and/or the lights not effecting them....

Either way, I'll take it as a win in my books and hope the OP finds a solution for the lack of lighting they are having....
I've always wanted to give them a go, but then I read somewhere that they were bs and sometimes they actually attracted roos. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed, what's stopping them running in front of your car to get away? I'm willing to give them a go now that I've come across someone who has actually used them seemingly successfully.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 256430

Christ on toast! I just went to ebay and typed in "shuroo" and this was the first thing that came up:
1693071111177.png

"Great price"? According to who?? I know this isn't what you meant, but at $600 that thing would want to work!!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Christ on toast! I just went to ebay and typed in "shuroo" and this was the first thing that came up:
View attachment 256440
"Great price"? According to who?? I know this isn't what you meant, but at $600 that thing would want to work!!
They are the proper ones. The electronic ones. I swear by them.

VC is saying get the stick on roo scarers. Not the Shuroo brand.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Shuroo has saved our arse more times than I can count. Only thing it never has an effect on is cows.

All the birds on the road having a drink after rain. Gone. So no mass slaughter as you plow through.

Roos, foxes, goats, dogs, sheep, birds. All of them gone.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

View attachment 256430

They are Sonic Animal Repellers, less than $5 from SCA. And I also get a warm and fuzzy feeling that they work.

It has been over 20 years since I hit a roo ( Yes, really, Mr. Murphy, twice in my HQ which I didn't have them on ) back in the olden days when I used to drive to work on a dark, lonely road.
With them fitted since then, no problems.
I put them on my mate's LandCruiser before we went Birdsville, and he just laughed. No animals were harmed during our trip.
But they do not work on cattle. They see you coming, walk into the middle of the road and stare at you. Maybe the Repellers make them inquisitive.

For $5 they are worth a try, and you can report your conclusions, or collisions.