Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dim low beam headlights - are driving lights/daytime running lights a solution? Is there a solution?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
My low beam lights are dim as crap. Apparently this is par for course on VXs. I don't like it. I live in the sticks and I need to be able to see the road at all times, even when I have to dip my lights for oncoming cars, because roos and foxes don't give a flying toss about whether you can see them, they'll throw themselves in front of your 100km/h vehicle without a second thought. And roos can sideline your car permanently, as my husband and son have demonstrated on three separate occasions. I genuinely get anxious whenever I have to dip my lights at night because my visibility reduces so dramatically.

But I digress. I want improved low beam lighting. Don't tell me to get a light bar - you can only use those when your high beams are on. My lenses are polished clear and I have brand new low beam globes in - LED ones, which are brighter than the halogen ones I had, but only marginally. I have the brightest low/high headlight globes you can install before things start catching on fire under the bonnet (100/90W - 1500LM).

Do daytime running lights, driving lights or any other lights come on while your low beams are on and do they provide any additional illumination on the road, or just of your vehicle (in the case of daytime running lights)? What's the difference between them anyway? Can I install extra low beam lights somehow? Can you remove that silver thing that covers the headlight globes so more light shines directly out the front? I know that one probably sounds dumb, but this is driving me insane.

Has anybody found a way to increase your low beam lighting situation?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Use better globes

I run Narva plus 200 in my low beam and plus 100 in my high beam

The difference is huge

SCA_635076_hi-res-1.jpg

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
With all due respect, go to an optometrist for an eye check.
You may need glasses for driving and particularly night driving.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
With all due respect, go to an optometrist for an eye check.
You may need glasses for driving and particularly night driving.
Good point.
I used to do a lot of night driving (work), now I avoid it as much as possible as I can't see **** on low beam, and the projector type headlights of newer cars just blind me.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Standard bulbs are rubbish, even with good eye site

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Why not get some VX projector headlights and fit an LED bulb in it.

The ones on the market have a conversion loom and relay for changing the assembly from negative switch to positive switching (or might be the other way around?)

Excellent quality headlamps. I’ve bought them before from this supplier

IMG_4386.jpeg
IMG_4385.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1430913...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

To answer your question re DRL, the answer is no. They have to be wired so when headlights are on, DRLs are off.

*Your postage would be less because you do t live somewhere the rest of Australia hates.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Why not get some VX projector headlights and fit an LED bulb in it.

The ones on the market have a conversion loom and relay for changing the assembly from negative switch to positive switching (or might be the other way around?)

Excellent quality headlamps. I’ve bought them before from this supplier
Then OP has to find some LED bulbs that are 2000 lumen (legal limit for low beam). I don't trust any of the vendors on eBay regarding the brightness of their bulbs, I have bought so much crap there.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Sounds like Life. Or you become a complete aarsehole who dries around with driving lights on blinding oncoming traffic because it's all about you. Brighter lights only help you to see what you are about to hit, half the time it blinds the animal and causes them to run the wrong way.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For the past 20 years?, I have been using these shuroos.....

1693042849278.png

I have actually seen roos stick their heads up in paddocks when I come through....Never have I had the pleasure (or mispleasure) or having one stand in front of me.

Other animals....Haven't had any of them in front of me either, so either they work or I have been extremely lucky...

My VC has 2 X130W spot lights, 1 X42 light light bar hanging off the front, so if the lights do confuse them into running in front of me, it's either I have been extremely lucky or the combination of the shuroos and/or the lights not effecting them....

Either way, I'll take it as a win in my books and hope the OP finds a solution for the lack of lighting they are having....