Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dim low beam headlights - are driving lights/daytime running lights a solution? Is there a solution?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Actually, I am surprised that you think your lights are dim.
I have never had a complaint about an Australian car's lighting. The VN, VT and Monaro, Cross6 and Territory were/are higher level models with great lights on deserted roads. The ZB imposter ......... well, they tried.
Maybe a headlight swap from a higher spec model, if there is such a light ??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Christ on toast! I just went to ebay and typed in "shuroo" and this was the first thing that came up:
View attachment 256440
"Great price"? According to who?? I know this isn't what you meant, but at $600 that thing would want to work!!

For that price, I'd want them to make my coffee of a morning....

I have always bought mine from an auto parts store......

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It’s the drivers eyes.
I sincerely hope he has addressed this serious situation.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It’s the drivers eyes.
I sincerely hope he has addressed this serious situation.
The O.P has told you otherwise...

By the way, the O.P is a female...

Thanks for your concern, but there's nothing wrong with my eyesight, I know because I had a test for work 6 months ago. Here's what I am up against. I have to drive through 25km of this, just to get to the closest supermarket. And these photos were taken during the day. There is not a single street light until you are in either town (origin/destination).
Clearly, I'm not driving though suburbia here.
View attachment 256437
I'd go take you a photo on low beams now, because it's night time, but all you'd see is something like this:
View attachment 256438
(not 100% accurate - you wouldn't be able to see the roos yet because they'd still be hiding in the scrub, stalking you.)

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why not get some VX projector headlights and fit an LED bulb in it.

The ones on the market have a conversion loom and relay for changing the assembly from negative switch to positive switching (or might be the other way around?)

Excellent quality headlamps. I’ve bought them before from this supplier

View attachment 256409View attachment 256410

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1430913...VTSobbORpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

To answer your question re DRL, the answer is no. They have to be wired so when headlights are on, DRLs are off.

*Your postage would be less because you do t live somewhere the rest of Australia hates.
What a weird coincidence. For the past two weeks, my son has been talking about getting a set of these for his VT just because he likes the look of them better than the stockies. I've been telling him I wouldn't bother - who cares what your headlights look like lol. He'd be bleeding if I went and got a pair before him haha. My husband drives down close to Dandy on the regular, so he'd be able to pick them up for free anyway.
It's hard to tell because all the photos of them are reflective, but it looks to me like they don't have that little "cup" thing over the globe, is that right? Is that what makes them "project"? Can I just remove the cup thing from my existing lights?
Thanks for clearing up the DRL question, too.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't trust any of the vendors on eBay regarding the brightness of their bulbs, I have bought so much crap there.
I bought the ones I just installed from Supercheap. I don't have the packaging any more, but after looking them up on their website I see that they're a whole 90LM, so that could explain a lot...

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
causes them to run the wrong way.
The stupid things run (jump) the wrong way anyway. They will be perfectly safe on the side of the road, being roos, but as soon as they see a car approaching they decide they have to cross the road right now. I don't think it's the lights, because other animals don't do it.
  • Wallabies look up at you, but stay firmly planted where they are, safely on the grass, just chewing away.
  • Koalas don't give a sh*t, the entitled pricks just wander down the middle of the road for hundreds of metres, long before you've lit them up. I've even had them stop and sit down in the middle of the road with their backs to me! You've got to get out and shoo them off the road every single time and they walk so bloody slowly, like they're protesting your concern for their welfare.
  • Possums run alongside your car, but safely in the grass.
  • Foxes usually do what the roos do, but they're a lot faster and usually clear the road before you're close to them.
  • Rabbits will dart out, but then run back to safety.
95% of the roadkill I see is kangaroos. They are dumb as a box of hammers.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
For the past 20 years?, I have been using these shuroos.....

View attachment 256430
I have actually seen roos stick their heads up in paddocks when I come through....Never have I had the pleasure (or mispleasure) or having one stand in front of me.

Other animals....Haven't had any of them in front of me either, so either they work or I have been extremely lucky...

My VC has 2 X130W spot lights, 1 X42 light light bar hanging off the front, so if the lights do confuse them into running in front of me, it's either I have been extremely lucky or the combination of the shuroos and/or the lights not effecting them....

Either way, I'll take it as a win in my books and hope the OP finds a solution for the lack of lighting they are having....
Quick question; can you hear the whistles? Or are they an animal-only frequency?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Like having dolphin torches
I genuinely think I'd throw more light if I duct taped a couple of Dolphin torches to my bonnet. The good old Dolphin appears to be a popular solution, too.
1693152474670.png
1693152670458.png
1693152699785.png
1693152778775.png
1693152946821.png
1693153071237.png
1693156629866.png

Last edited: