Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
i can't see myself ever going back to a v6, afterall the 8 i got now actually gets better economy then the 6 ever did, city and h/way

The 6 you had must have been a guzzler cause the 5 litre has a 15l/100km around town and a 9.3l/100km freeway, as opposed to 11.5l/100km and 6.8l/100km of the 3.8litre. (based on the 98 VT Calais):confused:

insurance wise...i don't actually notice it as it comes out every month so it's not like i pay a lump sum every year.

Then do you mind if I have you bank account details so I can subtract a small amount every month...after all you won't notice it right?..:thumbsup:

anyway 8's will always be king, no matter what you do to a 6, do the same to an 8 and get shamed every time

Ok, spend $1000 on a stock super6 and a stock 5Litre...I bet I know what would be faster...Accepted if you wanna start spending big bucks then the 5 will catch up an eventually take over. But the super6 is far better for a lower budget.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
The 6 you had must have been a guzzler cause the 5 litre has a 15l/100km around town and a 9.3l/100km freeway, as opposed to 11.5l/100km and 6.8l/100km of the 3.8litre. (based on the 98 VT Calais):confused:

There is no way known that those quoted figures could be right. I drove a military Calais from Sydney(Holsworthy) to albury and it used 11.7l/100km.

I am yet to drive a holden six that even gets close to the 8 for economy on the highway.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Having driven a six, then a blown six, then an 8 then a 6 and now an 8 again, it's a V8 for sure.. just something about having a 8 like sitting at the lights an another car pulls up next to you and the 1st thing they usually do is look below your front indicator.. haha.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Figures are straight from Redbook

Red Book AU : Your site for New and Used vehicle prices

Not that their word is gospel, but they cant be far off....

They get their figures from the manufacturers i believe.

Regardless, i have driven alot of 6's, the holdens are much mroe thirstier than the falcons and i cant even get better fuel economy than what you posted out of my falcon. Even watching fuel Inst usage on both the holden and ford it never drops that low.

I think my sisters new camry would be lucky to push out those figures on the highway.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
They get their figures from the manufacturers i believe.

Regardless, i have driven alot of 6's, the holdens are much mroe thirstier than the falcons and i cant even get better fuel economy than what you posted out of my falcon. Even watching fuel Inst usage on both the holden and ford it never drops that low.

I think my sisters new camry would be lucky to push out those figures on the highway.

Agreed, I was surprised myself at the 6cyl highway figures, but the point I was making to calais304 is that there is no way his 5litre has better fuel economy that the 6cyl of the same model.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Figures are straight from Redbook

Not that their word is gospel, but they cant be far off....

At the time I regularly drove from Melb-Syd in a VTII Berlina 6 cyl and usually filled up just before Broadford on the way out (can't remember the name of the servo). From there to Albury is quite flat and at best I got around 8 - 8.5 l/100 sitting exactly on 110. Between there and Syd it got about .5 - 1 l/100 worse once I was in the hills.

Interestingly my VYII 5.7 was around 9 almost exactly on the same trip. I haven't tried it with the SS-V yet.

Reaper

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
At the time I regularly drove from Melb-Syd in a VTII Berlina 6 cyl and usually filled up just before Broadford on the way out (can't remember the name of the servo). From there to Albury is quite flat and at best I got around 8 - 8.5 l/100 sitting exactly on 110. Between there and Syd it got about .5 - 1 l/100 worse once I was in the hills.

Interestingly my VYII 5.7 was around 9 almost exactly on the same trip. I haven't tried it with the SS-V yet.

Reaper

Ok I get that, still, the 6 had better fuel economy, and you are comparing a LS1, my point was directed at calais304, and the stats from redbook were for a 5 Litre and 3.8 Litre. :thumbsup:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I own a 6, i have the cash in the bank to buy my VS clubby or senator, but havent yet as i am being lazy and haven't been looking around plus i work too much, but first thing i am doing is 'stractors and zorst with hot dog straight onto the ol' 8. Should have it sounding noice.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ok I get that, still, the 6 had better fuel economy, and you are comparing a LS1, my point was directed at calais304, and the stats from redbook were for a 5 Litre and 3.8 Litre. :thumbsup:

Sure - I've never done that trip with a 5 litre that I ever bothered to look.

Reaper