Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Minux, do you really think we can have a discussion like this without it going pear shaped???? I highly, highly doubt it......

I have nothing to add to this thread apart from each to there own.

Do whatever floats your boat and be happy!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Says he with the best of both worlds.

Lucky bugger!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
True. As stated earlier, the day to day driveability, relatively cheapness of mods, fuel economy, rego, insurance is why I drive a L67. I can use all its power even just driving to work, and the fact that I love the whine of the blower, sooo different from the sound of an eight.

YouTube - VT SS Supercharged

Thats why I love the sound of my L67.

See, the exhaust note kills it for me :p

Which is why i prefer , no laws were broken in the filming of this clip :p
YouTube - Y Series Senator Inside Sound

Only short but you get the drift.

Minux, do you really think we can have a discussion like this without it going pear shaped???? I highly, highly doubt it......

I have nothing to add to this thread apart from each to there own.

Do whatever floats your boat and be happy!

I don't doubt it at all, we need one...it seems they occur all over the site...best to have one concentrated effort going and try to keep it on track.

Last edited:

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I am still amazed at how rego goes up depending on cylinders, kinda silly if you ask me.

I think the idea behind the the cost of rego being dependant on the amount of cyls could be that they assume that it'll make it harder for 'young' drivers to be able to afford, and they're for help keep them out of 'higher powered' vehicles.

But as for the 6 vs 8 debate, I'd love to have an 8, but at the moment, it's just not practical. I've got the VN because it was a good price, and excellent condition for the price. If there was an 8 on offer for around the same price and condition, I'd have got that. I guess when I look for a car to buy, the engine isn't the most important thing I look for.

And when the day comes I do buy an 8, I'll be keeping my 6 for more of a daily.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Cobez, i would hardly say i have the best of both worlds...however, i am happy with what i have and to me, thats all that matters and i dont give 2 ****s what anyone else thinks/says! If someone doesn't like what i have then thats there bad luck, i'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it thats for sure.

Anyway, there is no way i would pull my L67 out of my car for a 5 litre or LS1. I would only pull it out for a 6/71 blown Big Block Chev....

Last edited:

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Anyway, there is no way i pull my L67 out of my car for a 5 litre or LS1. I would only pull it out for a 6/71 blown Big Block Chev....

AMEN to that...:bow: :D

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
why did i choose my v6. well in all honesty, if i drove a v8 i would defently kill myself for being a tool, i would love to be able to sit here and say i can controll myself, but realistacly i wouldnt be able to.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I own a 6, i have the cash in the bank to buy my VS clubby or senator, but havent yet as i am being lazy and haven't been looking around plus i work too much, but first thing i am doing is 'stractors and zorst with hot dog straight onto the ol' 8. Should have it sounding noice.
First thing i'm doing is selling mine! I'm over 5.0lt's............saving for some SBC action:thumbsup:

I can in fact compare a L67 and a 5 Litre simply for 2 reasons, #1, they both have similar power figures stock(171KW & 179KW respectively), #2 this thread is called "V6 vs V8 Thread" not "NA V6 vs V8 Thread"

I am sorry... but where was that argument being made?
Then compare a VN 5.0lt Exec and not the heaviest 5.0lt ever made........I know which will win:p
Ok, spend $1000 on a stock super6 and a stock 5Litre...I bet I know what would be faster...Accepted if you wanna start spending big bucks then the 5 will catch up an eventually take over. But the super6 is far better for a lower budget.
Ok you do your cat back and 10psi with the $1000, ill do a foamy tune, 4.11's, a single 3" and a convertor.........see who wins then!

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Interesting thread and good to see theres been sum good points put in so far.

Id prob choose a v8 over a v6. Mainly for the v8 growl (something so beautiful bout it).

I originally chose my v6 commodore for numerous reasons:

1) Fuel economy (i don't have the ltr ratio but i get 450kms for $30 worth of LPG)
2) Flexibility. I have decent economy on both highway and town, before you start to hit the reply button : A 4cylinder will have low fuel usage around town but high on the highway, a v8 will have high around town and low on the highway....so the v6 is a good compromise between both :D

The agruement that v6s are cheaper for performance applications is a different story though....

The cost for a v8 is cheaper for the simple fact that a stock v8 produces more power from the start, so adding a blower or upgrades to the engine will provide higher numbers... (or lower on the quarter lol). Even tho the l67 is a gr8 engine A v8 engine will still provide better figures after being modified.

So id have to say that for performance applications a v8 will ultimately be better than a v6 (or a 4cyl for that matter), BUT for economy and flexibility when it comes to fuel usage (highway and town) id PERSONALLY prefer a v6...

I originally was going to modify (supercharge and sum mild engine work) my VR v6, but upon research I found it would be more cost effective to buy a different car... (ive found a buyer for the vr and im saving up for a vx clubsport)