Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ok, spend $1000 on a stock super6 and a stock 5Litre...I bet I know what would be faster...Accepted if you wanna start spending big bucks then the 5 will catch up an eventually take over. But the super6 is far better for a lower budget.

You cant compare a blown 6 and a stock 5 litre. If youre going to make a truthful comparison, compare a stock 6 and a stock 8, and then throw a grand at it. The argument is that if you had a stock v6 and v8 and chucked equal amounts of money at it, what would be the power gain comparison? What is being argued is that, its cheaper to get a bigger gain in a v8.

Mind you, i rekon a stock VS SS would give a stock VT L67 a run for its money, and both cost around the same.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sure - I've never done that trip with a 5 litre that I ever bothered to look.

Reaper
When i drove the VN SS home from sydney(was all built up there) i had to fully fill 4 times :p Driving a paxton blown 355 with 4:11's from sydney isn't a good idea :p

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I own a 6, i have the cash in the bank to buy my VS clubby or senator, but havent yet as i am being lazy and haven't been looking around plus i work too much, but first thing i am doing is 'stractors and zorst with hot dog straight onto the ol' 8. Should have it sounding noice.

Ive got 5 grand saved up, im looking at setting up a bank account i cant touch till im 21 so i wont spend it. But thats what im doing. VS Clubby or a 215 Senator, then hopefully enough cash for mods.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
You cant compare a blown 6 and a stock 5 litre.

I can in fact compare a L67 and a 5 Litre simply for 2 reasons, #1, they both have similar power figures stock(171KW & 179KW respectively), #2 this thread is called "V6 vs V8 Thread" not "NA V6 vs V8 Thread"

The argument is that if you had a stock v6 and v8 and chucked equal amounts of money at it, what would be the power gain comparison? What is being argued is that, its cheaper to get a bigger gain in a v8.

I am sorry... but where was that argument being made?

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I like both.

I've had a V8 as a daily driver for 4 years now and it does get tiresome after a while, especially in traffic. The auto has been shiftkitted so every gear change is harsh. The previous owners jammed in a large bumpstick so even though its got a bit of balls, the extra lumpy idle does get to you after a while. When my passenger seat is empty, it just about shakes itself to bits. Then there is the overheating in traffic and especially when the aircon is on, and not to mention the fuel consumption with a cammed car - average 20-21l/100km driving sedately in the city, maybe gets down to 11's on the highway. Sometimes I just wished it would settle down and behave.

My previous car was a stock VS V6 S Pac. That was so smooth to drive compared to my current car. I used to drive back from the mines in it quite a bit (8 hour drive) and used to get 8.4 l/100km consistently.

But at the end of the day, the torque of the V8 wins.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The argument is that if you had a stock v6 and v8 and chucked equal amounts of money at it, what would be the power gain comparison?

I am sorry... but where was that argument being made?

Well stock for stock sounds like an intelligent argument to me. That said, surely you have to agree that the 5 liter will have more potential in power and torque over the 6 when modified?

Reaper

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well stock for stock sounds like an intelligent argument to me.

I was comparing stock for stock, A stock L67 and a stock 5 litre. I said throw a grand at both and the L67 would have it over the 5 litre.

That said, surely you have to agree that the 5 liter will have more potential in power and torque over the 6 when modified?

If you read post #31 you will find that I agree that eventually the 5 litre will catch up to the Supercharged 6.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Guys, keep it on topic. Whether it is a charged 6 or 8 it is just more about why you picked the 6 over an 8.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Guys, keep it on topic. Whether it is a charged 6 or 8 it is just more about why you picked the 6 over an 8.

True. As stated earlier, the day to day driveability, relatively cheapness of mods, fuel economy, rego, insurance is why I drive a L67. I can use all its power even just driving to work, and the fact that I love the whine of the blower, sooo different from the sound of an eight.

YouTube - VT SS Supercharged

Thats why I love the sound of my L67.