Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end clunking noises.

jfarrugia98

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 - 08 VE SV6
So it started around 2-3 months ago when I had come back from work and started driving my car out of the car park. Upon going over a speed bump in the carpark I could hear this clunking noise emitting from the front left wheel arch. For the entirety of the drive home, any mediocre bump would cause this noise to happen over and over. After that day it stopped up until a week ago, when the noise started up again.

I’ve noticed that the noise only happens in cold weather, or while the car is still cold. After around 20-30 minutes of driving however the noise stops almost completly, occuring only on very large bumps.

Also last week, the right front started playing up as well, only this one sounds allot worse. It seems to happen allot less than the left but a noise similar to a loose bolt sliding through a hole in a piece of sheet metal is the best description I can give. The left occurs allot more commonly but sounds less severe.

I’ve pulled both the front wheels off, inspected all bushes etc and gave everything a good yank to see if anything was loose, everything seems tight and intact. The only damage I can sort of see is the grommets surrounding the link pin joints seem to be a bit brittle and cracked. I will look into replacing these but i have a very high suspicion that this won’t fix anything.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be or experienced a similar issue? These noises are killing me as I’m required to drive to work everyday travelling in excess of 80kms a day and the last thing I need is for something to go terribly wrong travelling at 100km/h. Any advice greatly appreicated.

The car is a 2009 MY9.5 SV6 auto.

SV6WGN

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SPORTWAGON
It will most probably be your sway bar end links brother! I chased my "clunk" for ages... they are cheap and easy to replace :)

jfarrugia98

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 - 08 VE SV6
It will most probably be your sway bar end links brother! I chased my "clunk" for ages... they are cheap and easy to replace :)

We can only pray, i’ll pick some up tomorrow arvo and see if it will fix the issue.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Swaybar links
Swaybar D bushes

jfarrugia98

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 - 08 VE SV6
Update: So i’ve swapped out the D mounts and sway bar links with new ones, the same dreaded clunking sound is still there. Am clueless as to what it could be.

jfarrugia98

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 - 08 VE SV6
Update: So i’ve swapped out the D mounts and sway bar links with new ones, the same dreaded clunking sound is still there. Am clueless as to what it could be.